Cutting ?'s

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Belle, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Belle

Belle New Member

How long after pouring do you cut your bars? I've been cutting them around 24 hours, but I was wondering if it would be better to wait a little longer than that. What do you use to cut your bars? I can't seem to get mine cut very pretty and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, thanks in advance!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I cut mine at about 12 hours if soaping really late night it's sooner than that. I cut mine upside down, bottom to the top so it doesn't hurt my tops.

My loaves fit into a miter box from Lowe's or Home Depot..cheap cheap. I slide them through and press down to cut in the grooves with a pastry scraper or you can use a taping and floating knife. Do not use knives they are too sharp and can break off sections of your soap when you hit the bottom. Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

There's no way I could put my textured tops face down, I think that would hurt them more than having them on top. They come out pretty clean.

I use a mitre box from lowes too, but the wooden one. My bars are more of a classic bar shape (2.5 x 3.5) and in loaves. I think vicki and a lot of the other soapers here use martha molds or that style which are larger in wt. and also a bit longer.

One day I will get the tank cutter - the one with the wires. I'll cut a whole loaf in one motion! I can't imagine the time it will save to cut 12 at a time instead of individually! $300 later....

Bethany

4. Belle

Belle New Member

"Do not use knives they are too sharp and can break off sections of your soap when you hit the bottom."
    How very, very true!!! :lol

I've got my eye on a pastry cutter of my Moms, she never uses it, so I believe I'll "borrow" that for the next batch, hmmm, I wonder if I can "borrow" a mitre box too :twisted

Thanks for the tips!

5. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I "borrowed" my miter box from my DH!! When he asked were it was I said "What is a mitter box?" :rofl I got busted when he saw me cutting the soap though!! :crazy