Cut on Teat

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Apr 21, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I know this is the DAIRY goat forum, but I can't get a response over at HT so please forgive me. This does have to do with udders and teats though, so what better place to ask? :lol

I have an older Spanish doe that has been off feed for a week now. She is a wild doe that I had to take in order to get the other two nicer goats. She may or may not be bred.

For the first 4 days she would take a few bites of grain and alfalfa pellets and no more, but would still eat hay and weeds. The last few days she won't eat anything. Today I noticed she has gunk in the corner of one of her eyes and her nose may be runny. I caught her, and felt her all over. She has a cut on one of her teats. It is all the way through so milk leaks out the side of her teat.

I'm not sure what to do. When she was healthy I was just waiting to see if she was bred and then after she kidded butcher her. Or if she wasn't bred just butcher her.

My question is this: If she has milk, at least a whitish substance, leaking from her teat does that mean she is indeed pregnant? I don't want to spend anymore money on her if she is not bred.

But if the answer is yes and she is bred, then what kind of antibiotics do I need to start on, and what else do I do? Is this a vet trip?

Thank you very much,

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I know you said wild...but, you're going to have to pen her to be able to give shots (antibiotic). You can use super glue to glue the cut back together. It needs to be clean and then dried. Scrape the edges of the cut to make them show live tissue, place them together as well as you can and spread super glue on the outside. The edges touching is the key to getting a good seal and the tissue healing proper. Reason lots of udders are not stitched....milk tends to leak through the stitch holes.

With the eye/nose problem she needs to be on Bio-mycin or Nuflor. Penn-G is not strong enough for a resp. problem. Banamine for lung issues and the pain of the udder. There's also going to be a chance of mastitis when/if this doe freshens. The cut has let bacteria into the udder.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How is she doing? When using superglue it works really well to not only using it to stitch the sides of the cut together but to also stick guaze, which is breathable, over the whole thing to sort of hold it together.

Agree with Kaye on the biomycin. Vicki

4. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thank you both for the advice. Unfortunately, we lost her yesterday. I don't know if it was from infection alone, she was also pretty old. I wish I would have caught it earlier. I'm learning something new about how to care for my goats everyday. Thank you all for helping out so much.

Tiffany