Curious about this...(lactation pellet)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I was looking at a lactation pellet last week and one of the ingredients was "bakery by-products".

Do I assume that this is exactly what it sounds like? Old bread or donuts?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly but you should ask the nutritionist, because at the COOP they don't change labels even when the ingredients of the contents change because they won't throw away all the tags. This is what he told me when I asked him about this back when Ric and I were going to open a Grade A dairy and milk together.

Have you visited anyone using this? And are they really using only this? And fed without alfalfa the deaths at their farms from "ketosis" are horrific. Been there done that. Now fed with alfalfa, it would be fine.

Bakery Products also would include animal fat because of the lard the products are made with, fine for the dry period for getting weight on high production does, but for during lactation, nope, not even cheap ole me. Vicki

3. Qvrfullmidwife

In all reality, Vicki, it isnt even the cheaper way to go! It is more, per lb, than oats which is the mainstay of our milkstand grain! I was curious the last time I was in there because someone in the club told me that they use it so I wanted to read the label. They asked if they coudl get me a bag or copy of the tag and I said "uh, no that's OK" LOL I expected to read grain byproducts, and forage byproducts but the bakery byproducts really took me by surprise.

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Our local vet turn feed store owner (makes his own ration) was buying pelleted wheat (by products) from a pasta mill/factory. The pellets specifically had bran/middlings/etc. I thought that would be "bakery by products" but gads...leftover bread and doughnuts! :eek:/ What won't the feed makers put into a product?!

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I am going to say this. My husband and I actually been to a plant that manufactures the 'bakery by-products' pellets that go into animal feed. Let me tell you it is NOT something you would want to feed your goats. Everything, and I mean everything goes into those pellets (incluiding the PALLETS that the bakery products were shipped in on!). On a recent trip they received a load of Pillsbury dough than was made incorrectly and started rising in the cans. Our company (we own a trucking company) brings in bad, exploding cartons of soy milk.

The place is nasty and the smell is terrible. Plastic bags are worn over the drivers shoes as that stuff stinks and just doesn't come off! :ick

Sara

6. Qvrfullmidwife

"I thought that would be "bakery by products" but gads...leftover bread and doughnuts! "

I dont KNOW that it is old donuts or bread, that was just my guess, but from what Sara said it sounds even worse!

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Gross and more gross... Thanks Sara! That's the kind of information consumers need to know. That kind of thing will convince people to stop blindly believing the big companies are " only interested in what's best for the animals." :twisted

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I work for a potato chip company, and our junky potatoes, and potatoes we have aborted due to high moisture, oil, foreign matter, etc. goes to a feed processing plant. I would not feed potato chips to an amimal from whom I was consuming milk or meat for better health for myself or my customers. Bad idea. And bad feed.
    Anita

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What! No junk food? My goats would go on strike if I quite feeding them snacks. :lol They also LOVE french fries... but only when dipped in ketchup. ;)

Sara

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl I'm with you Sara! My Saanen milker is a junk food addict! Just TRY eating crackers and canned cheese spread anywhere near her! Peanut butter/jelly sandwich?~your taking your life into your own hands there. And she likes to wash it down with Dr. Pepper! All Ken's fault...before him, she was a normal goat.
    Kaye

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep I am with them. I have one that loves her "mater" sandwiches on wheat with mayo on both sides and side of Dr. Pepper...also have one that loves ice cream..

Autumn

12. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Talking about "lactation pellet" a dairy guy I know up in the Northeast Ga had a big cow dairy and we went to visit one day before feeding and while he was mixing feed he went into a big bin and drove back out, the loader was loaded with CANDY..from the Mars Candy plant. There were M&Ms, Hershey bars, tons of stuff, he said it gives the cows the extra energy to make more milk. I would have never thought to feed them chocolate and a lot of it.

Weird,

13. Qvrfullmidwife

I think we have weird goats. People post what treats their goats like and ours wont eat anything but their feed! no raisins, no apple slices...anout the only nonfood item they eat is HAIR from teh head of the person milking!

Well...that is until we brought home the alpines from Tracy's! THEY like animal crackers, but even tho they are getting them the other girls just look at you like you are offering poison!

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My does won't even get off the milkstand without a treat. You can pull, push, beg, plead, hollar; it makes no difference. Give them their treats and they happily hop down. :)

Sara

15. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

:rofl mine wont leave the stand untill they get thier cracker too.
    Are we trained or what! :lol

16. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Sara, that was great info-thanks. I wouldnt never have known that. It sounds awful.

17. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have weird goats too because they won't eat anything but their feed either. Tried to give them some apple peelings the other day and they were snorting at them like they were going to attack them.

18. coso

coso Guest

Mine won't get down either without a couple of animal crackers. It is a major catastrophe to run out of animal crackers cause no one wants to go back in the pen without them. Have to make sure to stop buy Dollar General on the way home and get more. :/ :biggrin

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

when I first got goats I went out and bought all sorts of treats / everything anyone had ever mentioned and they would touch none of it. one goat took a nipple and then acted like she was a buck, snorting , lip curling, stamping , that I decided then and there no more was I going to spend money on treats for the goats. Now with different goats I have a few of the girls that will sneak away my dorritos but that is rare that I carry them out to the pens with me.

20. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

:really :really :blush :rofl

LOL -- same here -- mine won't get off the stand without their animal cracker :) Sorry LeeAnne! lol

Tracy