Curious about Calf Manna...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I am currently using Calf Manna as a top dress. But according to the makers it is very good for the following.

"Calf-Manna provides an array of amino acids from multiple protein sources, which are essential for growth and reproduction."

Would it be a good thing to give my growing kids, (and maybe the yearling does as well), more of this product? How much is too much?

Thanks!

2. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We have calf manna mixed in with our grain. We do feed it to the kids and yearlings.

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I feed it to everyone also. How much depends on how much $ you want to spend. There are guidelines on the bag.

Patty

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just remember it is high protein so you want to watch how you use it. and keep your calc to phos ratio right.

5. Terry

Terry Member

I feed a small amount of calf manna in my grain mix also.

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you everyone. Have you seen a marked difference in the growth of your animals when using more of this product than not?

-Kim

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ok red flags :)

No grain, supplement, secret formula or ingredient is going to put size on that too small of doe you are showing except milk milk milk as a kid and alfalfa and more alfalfa as a growing kid and adult. Yes grain will sleek them up, put that little bit of shiney healthy flesh on them, but it does not grow goats.

Goats either get a good start as goatlings, have no cocci, no worms, get all the milk they want, and then are weaned from their high protein, high fat, high calcium diet (milk) onto high protein, high fat, high calcium diet of alfalfa and some grain. Doing this backward, with lots of grain products and no alfalfa gives you goats with no length of bone, and no barrel. Torpedo goats.

Please don't fall into the trap thinking that our goats are bigger than yours because they eat more grain, my goats are bigger than yours because they got more milk, alfalfa and were on prevention for cocci and worms. I bet my goats eat alot less grain than most.

Calf manna knock offs are great. When on an all oat diet or a diet that is all grains and doesn't contain minerals in the sack, calf manna is an excellent mineral choice. It also adds protein when alfalfa is lower in protein or you want to feed more protein to growing kids. But more is not better. Protein is super expensive and excess is peed out. Soy protein especially but high protein is not a good diet for bucks. And there is little reason to have too much protien in the diet of your milkers. Vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol You beat me to it!

Vicki is absolutely right!! It starts as babies. You can't get anymore size on a goat that didn't have proper care and nutrition as a baby. Yeah, you can put FAT on them...(Not healthy) but you can't fix nutritional problems that occured during the all important growing phase. Coccidia prevention, worming, nutrition and lots of work is the key in the south.

Shoot if that were the case...we wouldn't do all the extra work and worry with these babies in the spring and actually enjoy ourselves more! ;)

There are "knock offs" that are less expensive than Calf Manna...I've used a product called calf aid-Tindle. About $15 cheaper than Manna and the exact same ingrediants. And it was used in moderation.
    Kaye

9. Tricia

Tricia New Member

When I was new to goats, I used a similar Blue Seal product called "Sunshine" which my does loved thinking it would give that added mineral and dietary boost. And one foundered as my top dressing became a little to heavy as one doe decided that Sunshine was her concentrate of choice. It was also quite pricey, about twice the cost of bagged whole grains at that time.

I'm extremely cautious with high protein grain products now. High protein around here now means alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets.

I know a lot of folks that really like the bloom Calf Manna gives to their herd but I'll echo the above and say use it sparingly and with discipline!

10. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I'm sorry I misled you into thinking that I was inquiring because of my skrawny yearling. I was actually trying to prevent that very thing with three of my 14 week olds. They are growing very well so far and are putting on weight as they should. They are about the size of my yearlings now. One, at the bottom of the heirarchy is a bit smaller. I am feeding them A. pellets, BOSS, 16% sheep/goat grain, and top dressed with calf manna.

I was wondering about calf manna especially for the littlest one.

I am also wondering if I should start the two 14 week old does back on milk or maybe just the littlest. What do you think?

Thanks.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well if you start back on milk do it slowly at first. but I keep mine on the lambar 4 or 5 mo.

12. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Slowly as in 12oz once a day? OR 24oz once a day? OR....???