Culling Decisions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, May 27, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

So many of us are in this situation. I'm wondering how you are going about this.

If you just can't keep some real good stock and they are not selling, at what point do you say I'm going to put her/him in the freezer.

How much per day is that animal costing you vs what you're asking for a sale price? Let's say it costs $5 per week to feed each animal and you feel that $400 is a fair price... How many weeks do you spend the $5 to get the $400?

Are you willing to let a good animal go for a ridiculously low price just so you don't have to kill it? (I'm not willing to let it go to a new owner I am not sure would take care of it properly.)

Where do you advertise? How much are you willing to pay for advertisement? How long do you run your ads?

These are hard decisions. I'm not sure how much more goat meat my freezer can hold. I don't want to give my animals away, unless it's for a good cause. How do you determine a good cause?

How are yall dealing with this? What are some other decisions you're having to make?

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I am pretty sure this is on alot of folks minds these days. I actually wrote out a list of those that would go first no matter what price I get and frankly no matter who they go to only 3 are on that list and I am trying to move them now, that would leave me with 14 senior and junior does and 3 bucks, that is the other issue, I have 2 new junior herdsires and 1 senior herdsire. The Senior, Hershey, finished his Championship this year, we have two beautiful milking daughters out of him and 3 junior does from this year, we have 100 or more straws of semen out of him and my DH wants me to sell him, I have a soft spot for the old guy (7 years old), my (?) is when do I let him go if at all, I don't want to at all.

There are some rough decisions to be made upon the horizon but I have a list from who goes first to who I will eat before I let them go and I WILL NOT let them all go.

Autumn

3. Truly

Truly New Member

If I had several straws from the buck, I would feel like I would have to let him go in the economy. It is so hard when they are such pets.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I would sell dirt cheap to people I know even to the point of helping someone out and take payments but this is to people I know. I butcher the rest and have a market for the meat. MY problem was that until this year I kept most everything only butchering bucks and sold very few to the point that I was swimming in goats then with feed prices going up up up I had to make tough decisions and get rid of a lot of very nice does.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I knew I didn't want to milk so many again, so I had let my numbers decrease. Once a doe is here for serveral years and has been through culls each year, I won't sell them, I would put them down before sending them off to be perhaps resold etc. later. Rarely is a 5 or 6 year old sold.

After you get through the list of your productive animals it leaves those who simply aren't.

Lois if a goat is costing you $5 a week to keep she had better be a kid who is replaceing something at the farm. Not having some type of income off your adult stock is the problem. Breeding stock sales can pay your bills for the year, as can milk or soap, but for pets, livestock is too expensive to have as pets. Unless baron.

I don't have very many good stories of animals given for free not coming back to haunt me in the end, so I would rather have them go for meat or dogfood.

I run an ad each year in Houstons big newspaper, this is the first year I haven't had to do that. I also have a network of folks to call and get animals into homes of those who milk them, it does leave bucks in this sort of limbo of not being sold why my customers know I don't deal much in bucks and can't help them with sales.

Go to the bonestogo.com website, see the prices on raw meaty bones, do something similar, there is a huge population of folks feeding raw that would pay for your butchered goats in neat little packages. Join the groups on yahoo for raw feeding in your area and advertise.

petfinder.com and craigs list, just because others advertise for $100 goats put a good price on your does.

Go to realmilk.com and see if there is anyone close to you on there that is looking for milkers.

Get yourself a free website if you are challenged like me...trade someone a goat for doing it for you.

Join the yahoo groups and advertise every single Friday, people have to know who you are.

Put together a haul, into areas who need goats.

Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't give away goats and I don't sell for pets as it seems to turn out as dissater for the goats. Did that once and their dogs killed the goats in 3 days.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I send bucklings, wethers and does with udder issues to the sale barn. I'm willing to get less than $400 for milkers and doelings. Around here (Montana and probably Wyoming), people just don't pay that much for goats unless you happen to have a well known herd. I have a friend in the Bozeman area who raises some lovely Nubians, many who have become champions, and she sells doelings and even milkers for what I charged you for the does I sold you. I'd rather they find homes as affordable family milkers than put them in the freezer. I have put an adult buck in the freezer after I was done using him. Kathie.

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Actually ..... I breed to Boer and then I dont mind selling and eating the bucklings but this year I saved both does from the Nubian breeding so now I have added 2 more does , this gives me 4 dairy does :O ,I am thinking if the does dont milk good I will cull them next spring... but they are soooo pretty and it will be hard to cull them :/

9. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I have helped out a new breeder/owner by throwing in a descent buckling if they purchase 2 or more doelings from me. I have been very blessed that several very good breeders have basically given me animals to help me get started...thanks Tim Pruitt and Elsa Nethercot... I just want to pay it forward. I do, as I am sure they did look out for those I feel are in it for real. My biggest issue is who do I keep???? They are all sooooo cute...LOL...