crooked leg in buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Apr 5, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

My one yr old Nub buck has developed a crooked front leg-- this same leg was slightly crooked when he was younger ( hardly noticeable) but it went straight, now it is bowed below the knee quite a lot. It didn't seem to bother him at first but appears to hurt him some when he's more active than usual ( like when I let them into the bigger field to do some browsing) He's had this now for a couple of months-- I was waiting to see if the copper bolus took care of it.

He's been wormed (Cydectin) and copper bolused.( I believe x2 now, but I'll have to double-check my records) He's black and he did have some red tinged hair, but that has cleared up. They have access to mineral with a decent selenium level. The other buck with him looks great ( he's not black-- somewhere i heard that black goats MAY need more copper) anyway they've been treated the same.

Any thing I'm missing here?

Since I don't really need two bucks- am thinking of options for this guy-- Never butchered a goat, but is a buck not in rut even edible?

thanks,
    Susie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds like a copper issue to me
    but yes any goat is good to eat. unless he has been on antibiotics etc that would be in his system still

3. susie

susie New Member

yeah, that's what I was thinking too-- ( Copper ) I'll double-check my records regarding how many times I've bbolused him.

Oh btw, if i were to butcher him, I'd like to know his copper level-- where can I have the liver test done?

thanks!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

pm Vicki or Kaye on the tests I don't know.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

We run most of our liver mineral analysis at the University of Minnesota (they will also do a liver biopsy on a live animal). However, another excellent lab that I have used for liver mineral analysis is Michigan State.

Sara

6. susie

susie New Member

Sara- what's the test called at the labs?

Thanks!

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Hey Sara -- do you happen to have the liver copper levels -- like what is low, medium, high?

Thanks

Tracy

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Is this what you want Tracy?
    http://saanendoah.com/cu_excel.html

Joyce also said: