Critiques on animals

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Nov 14, 2007.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you don't own the goat you want the critiques on, please post it in Off Topic for obvious reasons. If you own the animal than post it here...or there :) Vicki

2. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Ok, I should have know that from the horse forum I am a part of. I will go ahead and remove the post about the Saanan I am thinking about. I totally understand.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Jo,

I can move the topic to the Off Topic forum for you.

Sara

4. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I thought about doing that but then decided to just wait until after I go up and see her then start a new post.
    But :thankyou for the offer.

5. Would like to have a critique done on Ava, for the judge was not to happy with her. Since we are such newbies toshowing it would be good for Lindsey to know what to work on. She also wants to know where the udder attchkents should be. Anybody got an excellent site for us?

[attachment deleted by admin]

6. NubianSoaps.com

Adga has an excellent cheap booklet for LA, has excellent photos, someone can hold your doe for her and she can see from the photo the fault your doe carries. Vicki

7. LA? not sure what that is. Thank you for lookin'.

8. NubianSoaps.com

9. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I just got my Linear Apraisal booklet a few weeks ago. The comparative drawings are very good the descriptions and informationg are thorough and exact (down to measuring and scoring by inches!). Make sure you have a labelled dairy goat diagram to go with it, if you are unfamiliar with all the "parts" of the goat...like Chine and Thurls. :biggrin I am new and can only see obvious things (udder attachment) but not the little things all of the great ones can see! I hope to participate when our Alpine breeder does LA this spring. Just to see what I have...but I don't want to embarass myself with my "backyard dairy goats". :blush

10. I'm gonna get that book! We are newbies too. But i figure the only embarassment would be is to not ask questions and get as much information we can to improve the goats we have. At least when I decide to show goats myself I won't be as naive as Lindsey's first year of 4-H, what a nightmare. Thank You Vicki. Your the greatest. :biggrin

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Linear Appraisal is a great tool. Never be embarrassed. the appraisers are there to help you and it is an excellent time to ask lots of questions....like, what do you mean by "out at point of shoulder?" or "uphill" or....whatever has you puzzled.

Also, much better to appraise with someone else so that you can watch their animals be appraised...more learning opportunities.

At our first appraisal we did okay, but the gal hosting the apprasial had several 92 EEEE
    does, so was able to get the appraiser to agree to evaluate her GCH doe (again, quickly)
    so that I could SEE all the points I had learned about with my goats. It was very nice of both of them.

P.S. I should have studied the Appraisal book a little better beforehand, but sure did after the fact!

12. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

If you are an ADGA member the 2007 Linear Appraisal Handbook is a free download on the members home page.

13. NubianSoaps.com

Just to see what I have...but I don't want to embarass myself with my "backyard dairy goats".

LA is really not about show goats (although it is used as a tool to prove quality)...it's about improvement. If your backyard dairy goats are registered with ADGA than appraise them, this will help you see if the buck you are choosing to use is really helping you or not. I know when I first started out those bucks that my "mentor" and boy do I use that term loosely, allowed me to use, I noticed later on she never used herself :) Bucklings for sale were never out of her best bucks to people in the area....well you get it. If I had appraised just once, I would have been able to see it way before 4 seasons later! Vicki

14. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

This is so helpful! I just bought my first real buck, I have been using my breeder's young bucks that he selected for me :really I bought my new buck from a different breeder :lol

I wanted to do appraisals for my goats but I was afraid that it would irritate the appraiser since I only have 12 and they might not be worthy :?

Now, after reading this I really want to give it a try. Thanks Vicki :D

Christy

15. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

TWELVE?! Wow! ONLY?! I was invited to bring my three to be appraised with our breeder! I am curious so see how our $45 Clover, the Super doe does. :biggrin Here's her picture at 12 months after freshening. I don't have any better of her. Will have to wait until after she kids and sheds this spring. She's my "backyard dairy goat"! :biggrin

[attachment deleted by admin]

16. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

This brings up a great question....how many goats is "enough" for the appraiser to bother coming out to your farm? Right now I only have 4 so I know that wouldn't be worth it but is 6 enough, 10?

17. NubianSoaps.com

If you pay for the full stop...think it's $250 now, than shoot do 1 goat if you want. For me it is soo much better than spending your money going to a show. The only problem with doing it by yourself when you are new, is that there are no other goats around for the appraiser to perhaps show you what he means. I know my goats were used as guinea pigs at two appraisals, one was fun the guy learned alot, the other the breeder got his panties all in a wad and it was not fun. So when new I can see that going to a group appraisal if other breeders allow you to watch, would be a much better learning tool. But I do prefer alone. ADGA makes more money on small stops done all day rather than one big one, so can't see how they mind if your area is being done. Penny is great, ask her. Vicki

18. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"LA is really not about show goats (although it is used as a tool to prove quality)...it's about improvement. "

I took the phrase on face value because of who said it to me over and over but until I actually DID LA I didnt "get it". Once we DID it, I could see clearly how you can trace both strengths and weaknesses in a herd, by sire or by dam line and compare what is working and what obviously isn't. Having done it once, then skipping a year has led me to commit that we will NEVER skip another year again, regardless of circumstances. Fact is, I dont care if I have to leave LA to go inside and have my baby this Spring then go back outside and finish LA we are NOT skipping this year, PERIOD.