Cow Milk ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kaye White, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Due to circumstances beyond my control...this year I have had to use raw/store bought cow milk...my question is...Do you that have used it find constipation in the kids a problem??

I've treated both older babies in the last few days for constipation and I'm really getting tired of it!! If I mix goat milk with it... there's not been a problem, but now my milk customer is getting a little antsy, so I started adding more cow milk to get her a gallon of goat milk. Bingo, constipation problems. The younger doelings are still on goat milk/cow mixed heavy on the goat milk. But with the problems in the older kids...if it's from the cow milk...the milk customer can just wait! My babies come first!

Interested to know if anyone else has had this problem.?
    Kaye

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Kaye, I've raised babies exclusively on whole cow milk from the store and they thrive on it.

That being said... yes I have noticed the same thing this year. Not enough to have to do anything about it yet but I've noticed a couple of the kids grunt a bit when they poop. So far they are able to poop after grunting a couple times. :lol It's not something I've noticed in all of the kids just a couple here and there.

In past years this has not been an issue.

Sara

3. Katarina

Katarina New Member

we have had this problem but not in all kids and not prolonged...mainly when they transition form meconium to reg poop one or two (invariably bucks) need help. WIthin a day or so they are fine.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:/ :blush Well...I'm glad to know I'm not being anal about baby poop. :rolleyes But, in all these years, my major concern was loose stools, not constipation. :crazy Hey, they are OBIES and drama queens,so that may be my problem! Next year...Obies KID last- not first!

:lol Maybe there is something to that "store bought milk" being bad for ya'?

Hopefully, by Sun. morning my "poop" problems will be over...that heavy milker IS GOING TO KID!!
    Kaye

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Never have had the problem and I switch back and forth. but if one would have constipation adding a 1/2 tsp of karo does wonders.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin With a case of twin pack fleet enamas...I think I'll just watch for problems until about Monday...then put the little darlings back on GOAT MILK!
    The last thing I need right now is loose stools...too much other problems to watch for. :lol
    3 wk fecals are telling me my Decoxx-M is working so I don't want to jinx myself.
    Kaye

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

This is interesting... i have a couple questions as well on cows milk -

What is the best type of cows milk to feed them ? Whole or whole with vit. D ? If i were to switch them from straight goats milk to half GM half CM, how would i go about doing this ? Thanks !

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Whole milk with vitamin D.

I have easily switched back and forth with no problems. However, it would probably be best to slowly switch them over to cow milk - half and half and then all cow milk.

Sara

9. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

I've never seen any signs of constipation...I don't watch them much for that though.
    We haven't lost any kids raised on cow's milk (from our herd). They do quite well. All of our bottle babies over the years have had cow's milk for some or all of their bottles. The past couple of years they get cow's colostrum and then cow's milk exclusively.

10. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have 1 that I am bottle feeding and he get 3oz half/half and 3 oz cows milk mixed together and havent had a problem at all ...maybe there isnt enough fat in the milk...I love half/half and so I add it to his ...man is he growing...

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol That's easier for me!! I'm stealing some from the jersey...but I just CAN'T help but pasturize it! And the blasted cow was raised here from birth on goat colostrum/milk! I just can't do the raw milk thing...with years of pasturized programmed into brain. :/
    Kaye

12. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:rofl well supposedly its better if you dont pasturize it...who knows ..with only 1 to feed its not to expensive to feed him yet...but a few more weeks and my jersey will freshen and thats when he will really get the good stuff...

13. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

We have been feeding two kids store bought cow milk for the past three weeks. Went from goat colostrum straight to the cow milk and they had a little constipation problem for the first two days then got alright. Just kills me to be buying milk again! People sure do stare when you walk out of the store with a cartful of milk. Picked up 8 gal. today and had to tell the cashier no, our children are allergic to milk, so we give them goat milk and buy milk to feed the goats :rofl She just gave me a look like :really Can't wait for the next goat to kid!!! :rofl

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just have never had a constipation problem except some week newborns. and they were on goat's milk/colostrum
    Kaye put a little colostrum in their milk that will stop the constipation

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I use raw cows milk and never see constipation from it. :D

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep boy if I had a cow that I knew the history of I would never pasturize again for the babies.

17. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have never noticed a constipation problem when using cow's milk. Like someone else mentioned here, I've had a few really young kids get constipated when on colostrum/goat milk, but it clears up after one enema. I just can't see selling the goat milk and them buying store milk for the kids, so my customers are informed the babies have first dibs on the goat milk. I usually only have to resort to cow milk in the case of lots of multiple births or the loss of a doe. Kathie

18. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

This is exactly what happened here! Doe kidded and died and left me twins, then another kidded with twins and she's an average milker-NO WAY could she milk enough for 4 babies! And not one I could destroy to make the milk go further. So, I resorted to cow milk. Both store bought and Jersey's. My milk customer has received 2 gallons in the 5wks. this has been going on...so, that's not the issue. I've just never had to deal with constipation...such a minor thing, compared to other problems! :lol

As far as pasteurizing...when I say they are raised on pasteurized milk...I mean it. It's a moral issue, with me, and my word. I can't say the kids were raised on pasteurized milk, if I feed them raw cow milk, now can I. :nooo

Oh,well...things have seemed to "work out in the end"... and everyone's bouncing and playing again.
    Kaye

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

So true and I have to agree here guess I would have to pasturize cows milk too wasn't thinking. BUT HEY I have that new elec turkey fryer now so that would be bad HA!