Could she still be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I have a lamancha doe that was bred last October. I took her to my grandpa's in December, but he decided to get rid of his cows and goats recently and so I brought her back here, he gave his goats to me. He said, when I went to pick her up, that she had been having discharge. When I went to pick her up she had a lot of blood, like she had aborted. I looked all around that place and couldn't find a thing, though a dog or something could have gotten it. I'm just wondering if it's possible that she didn't abort? Is it possible for them to lose one baby and not the other? I talked to Nancy about this, wanted to see what y'all thought too. She would be due in the next week and a half or so, and doesn't really look bred. We had assumed she wasn't, but she did have something on her vulva, looked like dried elmer's glue, the other day. So when I checked her belly, I thought I felt a baby, so now I don't know. She is not bagging up at all (second freshener).

The only other thing, she doesn't really act like herself, really grouchy/bossy and riding the other does sometimes.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My guess is that she aborted and is now in heat. Does have a discharge and will mount other does when they cycle.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am sure someone can come up with a story that their goat aborted a kid and still freshened normally on her due date with another kid. But that would be really rare.

My does were also bred the first part of October, will start kidding here March 8th. 2nd through 7th fresheners, it's obvious they are bred, both by their bellies and by their udder. Vicki

4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

We bought a doe in November a few yrs back. She had been with teh buck all October. A few weeks after we brought her home we noted bloody discharge--not a LOT, but definitely enough to easily see. We concluded that 1)she aborted due to fighting to establish her place in our new little herd or 2)she hadnt been successfully bred in the first place but that at any rate that we wouldnt be seeing kids from her in the Spring.

We were confirmed in this in that she showed no signs of being pregnant as the yr wore on and we headed into Spring.

Until the day before she kidded a single buck.

So...can they abort one and retain the other? Dunno, women do and it makes sense that goats esp could with the two horns to the uterus but I dont know for sure and just thought I would share our experience.

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Well, I guess we will know in a couple of weeks anyway. I'm doubting it, but it would be nice.

I never saw any liquid disharge, just the dried stuff, and she hasn't like the buck yet since we brought her home.

6. haeema

haeema New Member

When my doe did this, we found the kid (no hair) about 3 days later. I hope you have better luck.