Coughing Two Week Old Kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by carol-anne101, Feb 27, 2013.

1. carol-anne101

carol-anne101 New Member

I have a 2 week old British Alpine Goatling, It keeps Coughing/Sneezing/Spluttering. When bottle feeding it takes a few sucks and then has to stop to take a breather and coughs up a bit of the milk.
    What could be causing this? What can be done? What could I do to stop this??:confused:

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hi, welcome to the forum. Take a look with a flashlight and make sure the kids palate is intact, the upper roof of the mouth doesn't have a hole in it etc.

What type of nipple are you using, my kids choke and gag on pritchard's, it's why I never used them in the beginning, and if you cut the X to large in lamb nipples it floods out, choking them. I love the lambar nipples that just pop on soda bottles and then fit on buckets to bucket feed. Vicki

3. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Welcome!
    Perhaps use a nipple with smaller opening.
    It sounds like too fast of a milk flow. They have to suck suck- swallow-breathe in- suck suck -swallow- breathe out-and if the hole is too big milk continues to flow while they are not sucking but breathing then you have coughing.
    Good luck!
    Lee

4. carol-anne101

carol-anne101 New Member

She coughs/splutters even when she is not feeding, so the teats/nipples are not the problem as the other kids are feeding just fine. What could be causing the coughing/spluttering? Someone mentioned it could be something to do with its lungs.. I'm new to rearing goats so as much info as you could give me would be much appreciated, Thanks

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Have you taken a temp? How is she otherwise? Does she act sick?

I know there is a drug of choice if there is suspicion of pneumonia in the lungs in kids, but I can't remember which one. Vicki has posted about it before so perhaps try a search using her name. I'll see if I can find it, too.

6. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

If you have access to a vet who could listen to the kid's lungs with a stethoscope, that might be helpful as well. I've found that in newborns, at least, they often cough for a day or so if they've had a difficult birth and seem to have some fluid in their lungs from that.