Coughing Frustration!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wind Drift Acres, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I have some goats that are coughing. When I got them they stressed & the vet gave them all a couple of injections of Nuflor but the coughing hasn't gone away. I have wormed with Cydectin & Safeguard last week & they are still coughing. I am getting frustrated now so should I worm them again for lungworm or what? Or give them more injections of Nuflor? Any suggestions as to what to do would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Thanks

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you first need to go get some fecals run and have them do a baeureman (sp?) test for lung worms then worm with appropriate wormers. When was it that you did all this before?? also have you taken temps? What I personally would do is give Vit C and an antihistamine get the fecal checks done and take there temperature to make sure it is normal

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

vet gave them all a couple of injections of Nuflor

First if it was something Nuflor that could have touched a couple of injections especially spaced more than 24 hours apart would do nothing, so in essence they didn't get any antibiotic yet.

Neither cydectin nor safeguard will get lungworms.

Does the goats come from a place that has snails? Do you have snails? It's the intermediate host for the lungworm most goats get.

How old were the goats you purchased? Are they still quranteened from the rest of the goats?

Did you really pay attention where they came from to hear cough in their herd. A good way of doing it is to go to the forum your purchaser frequents and read back some of the health problems they have in their herd that they have asked questions about :)

I would have a fecal ran so you know if you have worms, ask them to identify the eggs they see, also ask about cocci. If they use a chambered slide ask them to count. Then you can see if it's worms that are giving you the cough or not.

Do your goats have a temp?

A course of antibiotics isn't going to hurt anything, will your vet let you buy Nuflor or Naxcel and give it to you for us to dose for you? Will he give you some banamine?

It's of course a guess, because it can be from they came this way...were in fact sold because they were ruined from having pnemonia and will always have an unproductive cough from scar tissue.

They got ruined by cocci and are now stunted with a weakened immune system with the scar tissue in the intestine, they will catch everything and anything.

They have lungworm, treat it with Ivermectin or better Levamisole.

They have chronic pasturella pnemonia and need a better course of treatment for it. Vicki

4. What is the anti-histamine for?
    I do offer vitamin C.
    Normal temps.
    Yup had the fecals done but are taking more in tomorrow.
    Will ask for the Bauerman test for lung worm, & cocci again.
    Yup the goats are confined in their own area.
    They were treated with Nuflor every other day per their weight according to the vet for about 1 & 1/2 weeks, the coughing stopped & now it is back.
    There was NO coughing where the goats came from, I was there long enough to have heard coughing & there was none. They had NO coughs when they got here for days.
    Vet said it was Pasturella.
    Their appetite, drinking, playing etc. is normal.
    Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon.
    Thanks all for the info. Did I miss anything? :?

5. NubianSoaps.com

I know we expect our vets to know but you can't use Nuflor like that in goats and have it work. So now the bug is back and stronger, so I wouldn't use Nuflor this time. See if you can get the vial of Naxcel, mix it up yourself and use it, or Excennel that may be cheaper.

Also think about vaccinating your herd for pasteurella. Vicki

6. Naxcel or Excennel is from the vet? The vet gives me any meds I need.
    Is it for Pasturella? That is what I would use for all the herd?
    I spent a small fortune on the Nuflor....great! Is Nuflor good for anything else?
    Thanks! ~C~

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. Should I use the Nuflor up or ask the vet for Naxcel or Excennel?
    I read the thread & was giving the correct amt. only I was giving it every other day. UGH!

What are the anti-histamines for?
    What type Vitamin C do you offer, chewables or the swallow kind & what mg?
    Do you give your garlic?
    Thanks
    ~C~

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Naxel is really better but send Vicki a PM and ask her if you could use the Nuflor you have When I just suspect that maybe an alergy I give the antihistamine and Vit C and I use 1500 miligrams a couple times a day I use the powdered from the health food store that I use for myself as I can either sprinkle on grain or put in water and syringe. I don't use garlic because of milking but it is a good immune builder. While your at the vets get you some BoSe so you can give it to your goats for their immunity as well

10. What is BoSe?
    I have a hard time getting the goats to eat the garlic. Some take it & others don't. They must know if they need it or not. Mine are to young to milk yet so I don't have a problem yet.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BoSe is Selenium /Vit E there is an article in Goat 101 by Sue Reith you will find interesting.

12. You mentioned Banamine. I have paste, how much do I give them?

13. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry I have no idea, I use injectable. A doe who needs banamine doesn't need it orally, or anything else orally to slugish the rumen more than it already is. You have to protect the rumen from any unnecessary drugs. Vicki

14. Ok, btw....the naxcel was cheaper than the excennel here in MI...only by $4.00

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK take your naxcel and what is left freeze in syringes with the dose you need as it does not save in the bottle. Banamine is also RX

16. Really.....wow!

For comparison sake, how much Naxcel do you give your goats per weight & how many doses? vs what the vet says? & btw....he has goats....go figure????
    Thanks!

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member