Cost of batches?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by [email protected], Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Because I am more of a hobbiest rather than doing this for a business I have never paid attention to how much my bars actually cost me.

How would I figure that out? Also, if the price of oils and shipping keeps going up isn't our soaps supposed to keep going up too?

What are you selling your soaps for? Do you have a basic recipe for all your bars?

Been wrestling with this all day. Is it cheaper to get oils at costco or is it better to get them through Columbus foods? even with the shipping?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

For each oil in your recipe you will need to take the total cost of the oil (include shipping if applicable) and divide it by the number of ounces in the container. This gives you the cost per ounce. Multiply this number times to number of ounces of this oil in your recipe. Repeat for each oil, fragrance or essential oil and also for the lye. You can figure the cost of goat milk in your soap by using this formula with the amount you sell a gallon of milk for. Add all this up and you have your cost per bar.

Christy

3. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i also figure in so much labor for each batch, say 3 hours of labor... if you want to nit pick it you can start adding pennies/some amount of money, for utilities and "rent" also

i use a program called soapmaker and i just make certain things stand for an amount on the program
    ex) 1 hour labor = 1 oz labor in the program (as an additive)
    special handling charge = 1 oz fees

the program takes the costs of all my oils and lye water and then adds up the cost of my "additives" and then gives me a total batch cost and how much each bar costs.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Soapmaker had my bars about 30cents a bar more than what my young CPA has come up with. Perhaps their kilowat hours are more, or I didn't plug something in correctly.

Jo there is soo much profit in making soap, you would have to be crazy not to be able to do well at 1$ per ounce. I did restructure my soap costs, those purchasing smaller amounts pay more, because it costs me more to package their smaller packages. But I haven't had to go up yet. vicki

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I do what Christy does and have whole sheets showing the cost per pound (and remember to factor in shipping to you) and how much per ounce. I buy in 35 pound buckets most of my soaping oils (cause I can get them at BB - just an hour away, the cost of shipping from columbus to me outweighs my gas cash and I never have the cash to go all out and buy barrels from columbus) I don't sell my GM so I used the price of GM in the stores as my guide for that. I add in packaging as well. My bars are almost 5 oz, but I sell as "over 4.5 oz" to be safe at $5.00. I think I should go up to $5.50, but until sales get better I'm holding out as long as I can.

I have two base recipes. lard and all vegetable. My lard recipe has actually had a higher increase than my vegetable (which is 30% shea - the price has surprisingly stayed very stable for me from agbanga). It used to be my lard bars cost one third that of the vegetable, now they are 2/3 the cost of the vegetable. I sell more Lard bars locally than vegetable, so that helps counteract the cost of my veggie bars. (most of my veggie bars are EO's, and whether they want to admit it or not - folks tend to like FO fragrances better around here) And of course selling straight shea nearly obliterates the cost of it.

Hey, I drove by a gas station and it was at $3.99 a gallon the other day! I never thought I'd be so excited over gas at nearly $4 a gallon (we were hovering around $4.40 here for a good bit) so maybe things are looking up as far as supply/shipping prices???