Correcting foot trimming problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dusty, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Dusty

Dusty Member

I purchased some spanish does that where already expecting a month or so back. Last week they kidded and now I have 4 spanish does and 8 young boer cross kids. I ordered a big brother hoof trimming kit from Hoeggers and when it came in I read through the manual proceeded to trim the does feet. They where in very bad shape. The sides of the hooves where grown over and underneath until hard material was completely underneath like a flap covering the entire sole. I cleaned it out and trimmed it back even with the sides. The pastern angle seemed correct on most, so I squared off the bottom with the rasp. On some the sole seemed to stick out further than the wall. How much can you remove at one time? I remove about an 1/8 of an inch on some that where really bad, but it seemed that it need more removed. I didn't want to do too much at one time so I figured I would let them adjust to the new trim for a couple of weeks and then see if I can trim a little more off and slowly get them to proper shape. Is this the right approach? Another one of the goat's soles seemed to be growing inside until it was pushing the hoove apart. I seen in the hoof care book that you should trim the walls shorter than the sole to correct a spread toe, but they where already shorter. Should the sole be trimmed inside to correct this? I don't know too many people in this area to talk to that do things right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dusty

Farmerville, LA

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I take the sole down until I can see pink. You can see the quick. If the hoof wall and sole are seperating, you need to cut the dead wall until you get close to live hoof wall, clean it really well and apply either bleach or kopertox. This is hoof rot. The hoof wall will grow back and touch the ground as it heals and the mud dries up.
    SOME spread toe can be corrected by cutting the heel between the claws until is straight with the hoof wall.
    Hope this helps,some.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dusty put your location in your post. Like learning to disbud etc..I think watching someone then having someone watch you trim feet, disbud etc..is the best. Perhaps someone is close enough to help? Oh and welcome to the forum! Vicki

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Yes, Dusty, this sounds like hoof rot. I don't normally use bleach or coppertox, although many people use it with good results. I use regular lemon-lysol, the kind you clean floors with, NOT in the brown bottle. This has been tested in a labratory, and is widely recommended and used by horse owners as it does not kill healthy tissue, only the bad bugs. Works great, and smells nice too. I put it in a spray bottle and it's quick and easy. Good luck hoof trimming. The more you do it, the better you get at it, and the healthier your goats feet will become.
    Anita

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have heard that if hooves have not been trimmed in a long while then you should cut back a little at a time. That way their blood vessels can retract a bit before you do it again. Sounds like you know that though. I also noticed a post here that says you can cut down until the color looks more pink. Using a combination of the two things is what I would do. Hope this helps. :)

-Kim

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tim Pruitt is only less than 1 hr dirrectly west of you Dawn would be well worth a trip to see his operation and have him show you how to trim hooves. He has some awesome goats too.

7. buckrun

buckrun New Member

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Lee- Thanks for the link. Glad you put it here. Its a good one.

-Kim

9. Dusty

Dusty Member

Thanks, for the advice. I am going to get something to treat the rot with tommorrow and trim a little more on them. I didn't take any of th sole off last time. I seen a foot scald remedy using rubbing alcahol and terromycin powder in the Hoeggers catalog. Has any one tried this?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope I soak in clorox water for hoof rot foot scald is not the same thing as hoof rot.

11. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yes, give me a call and we can arrange a time for you to come over - I would be happy to show you how to trim feet. Farmerville is not that far from Homer - the town nearest to me.