Corid questions - pellets vs. drench

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by D Bar J Acres, Jun 4, 2008.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Hi, thanks to all your wonderful wisdom here I found out I almost killed my last set of nigie kids due to error in cocci prevention. Vets aren't real helpful with goats, as you all know, haha, but finally figured out what I was dosing with and the sulfa I was using, was fine in the past when my kids probably never had cocci, but this very wet, cool spring and kids that have been penned more than I ever have has lead to two bad cases which I'm treating with Corid now.

So, just wondering has anyone used the pellets in the feed for your weaned kids? The local Fleet Farm store has 10 lbs bags for 13.89, and they also have gallons of Corid (and not generic) for 71.89 which is quite cheap. I paid 75 cents per ounce for mine last week at the vet, which would be $96/gallon. And yes I just used 11 ounces to treat my kids, but hopefully by the next round some will be gone. I'd like to buy a gallon, but boy that'll last my little herd a long time!

So, just curious if the pellets work in grain and if any of you know what dosage to feed them as I'm sure it's different than on the bag. My kids are all nigies and mini manchas.

Thanks, Jenny

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

but finally figured out what I was dosing with and the sulfa I was using, was fine in the past when my kids probably never had cocci,

You learned that quickly :) Alot like how well herbal wormers work for folks who are new also :)

I asked Kaye when the Corid pellet first came out and the amounts were staggering. You should be able to find the conversation in a search. It does sound like a wonderful idea doesn't it!

Jeffers is selling pints of Corid also. But I do buy the gallon and just set it in the cool dark under the sink, it has never gone bad. vicki

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

thank you vickie again, I have this jug here where to stick it where to stick it? oh under the sink.

4. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Thanks for the info Vicki.

I've only had goats for 4 years now and was using all fresh pasture areas, and never really penned any kids in small (under 50x100) pens before and this weather is just crazy here so guess I've had the goats long enough now and the weather is encouraging cocci, so lesson learned. But have probably ruined a nice little buck kid (who will now be wethered - I even had him sold as a buck, but refunded it due to the "problem") due to 2 weeks with diarrhea and me having "no idea" what was wrong with him as he did have cocci prevention 2 weeks prior. Poor little guy got pennicillan shots for 5 days and 3 days later the vet recommended Excenel shots for another 5-10 days. And wanted me to culture for botulism, salomenlla and e.coli and giardia. All of which would take 7-10 days to come back. They don't offer to run fecals there and he said it couldn't be cocci. But, 2 days on Corid and he's pretty normal now and lusting after his sister. She also got the poops a day before I bought the Corid and is perfectly fine now.

I'll look for the pellet conversation, but sounds like the drench is still the way to go. Thanks again.

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

At one point, Dr Don Bliss was doing free fecals and he's not far from you I think.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Somewhere...131#'s per day per goat keeps coming to my mind. :lol
    I was astounded that my math could be that far off...but someone else figured it and came up with about the same doses. So, when the corid pellets come up....BIG red flags go off in brain as to "Don't go there".
    Kaye

7. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Yep, found those posts.

Corid drench it will be! Surprisingly, after five days of tormenting the kids, they are actually friendlier. So, not too bad, just takes me and DH getting together 5 days in a row after work. Ah, quality together time! hehej

Thanks, Jenny