Corid pellets?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Anyone use these with good results? Cocci treatments are the main area I have problems with. I simply cannot seem to get the amounts recommended in 101 down the throats of my weaned kids or older goats. I saw in Jeffers that they had cocci pellets and thought..hmmm, how wonderful...if it really worked. My question is will the goats eat them in the amounts necessary to get rid of cocci?
    Also, if I decide to use something besides corid, are the amounts still the same? I can get about 6ml of liquid down any of my goats with no trouble..but when I am trying to get 18 or 22 mls of nasty stuff like corid down them, I end up wasting more than I get in them.
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I'm thinking something like 131#'s per day per goat to get the right amount of meds in them.
    We figured this one time when they first came out. <shrug> not a good idea.

Have you tried snowcone syrup mixed with your meds? It works here for me to get the proper amount of meds. down the kids.
    Kaye

3. Anita Martin

131 pounds per day???? Good grief! Okay, so that won't work. I haven't tried the snowcone syrup. I did try molasses but my goats hate molasses. They were quite fond of an apple flavored horse wormer I used one time though, so that snowcone syrup just might work. What flavor do your goats like best? Also, how much do you mix with the meds to cover up the flavor? Are you syringing it down or will they eat it on feed?
    Thanks
    Anita

4. coso

coso Guest

Try the snow cone syrup. Kaye put me on to this and it is a lifesaver. They don't mind taking it at all now. I just pull the correct amount of Corid in a drench syringe then put in a couple, three ccs of cherry snow cone syrup and they take it like it's candy. :biggrin

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Mine will eat it all but bubble gum. Don't care for the bubble gum. There is a green apple flavor that seems to be the rage around here. :lol
    It doesn't take much 1-2cc...just enough to flavor it. Since I don't make snowcones and grandkids leave it alone, I just suck it up out of the bottle.
    Kaye

6. Hmm...I am going to have to check out the snowcone syrup...
    Do the bigger does seem to take the meds better also?

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Since I start mine as babies on it...most of my goats will take a syringe, if it's in it. Course as they get older, they also get smarter and some refuse it. ;)
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use the stuff plain with that metal plunger syring and most of mine come running for the stuff. Only a couple spit and moan. so I don't use any syrup

9. Anita Martin

Sondra, your goats are weird! Just kidding, that must be great! I've been using a regular large syringe, like the one I give shots with, only bigger. Are you all using something else? It seems like sticking that big old thing in their mouth is part of the problem.

Where can you get snowcone syrup? I'll stop by Walmart tomorrow if they have it. What isle would I look on?

10. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I use the 20cc Nylon Feeding Syringe that has the bent nozzle (Jefers pg 51) and sno-cone syrup. The boys favorite flavor is Tropical Punch. When it's time for cocci meds they run to the fence, stick their heads through and suck it down. No problem at all with it. For me the sno-cone syrup has made life much easier ;)

Tamera

11. coso

coso Guest

I use the syringe that looks like this [​IMG] My older does will take it better with snow cone syrup but some still get stubborn on opening their mouth. That's why I love this syringe as long as I can get that ball in the corner of there mouth I've got it made. I just suck the syrup straight out of the bottle too. If my human kids want snow cone syrup they can get there own :crazy :biggrin

12. Anita Martin

I don't have a syringe like the one above. I do have a weak kid syringe, but I am thinking the flexibility of it would make it difficult to control. I'm going right now to look in the jefferes catalog. You girls are a lot of help! This has driven me crazy for months!
    Thanks
    Anita

13. Anita Martin

okay, I found it. Ten bucks! Cool.