Corid 1.25% top dress pellet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by buckrun, Mar 18, 2008.

1. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Has anyone used this product for coccidiosis treatment?
    My feed mill was out of the other forms and now I am having questions about converting from the cow dosage...

Found one reference that said 5 times the cow dosage for goats because of quicker metabolism and another one that just said 250 mg of the active ingredient for a 20lb kid.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea of how much is the right dose.
    otherwise I will have to mail order the kind I know how to use!
    Thanks all
    Lee

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know I asked Kaye later last year, in hopes that it will be palatable and easily added for kids. I know the amount mg/kg of which I am math challenged so all this type of question goes to Kaye :) was so much as to be cost prohibitive. Vicki

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Well....this one kinda' stumped me. Or rather, I just couldn't believe the figures I came up with!

This is what I got:
    The recommended dose on Corid (Amprolium) is 50mg/kg. or 50mg/2.2#.
    This is the Lable dose for Corid 1.25% top dress.
    Active Ingredient:
    Amprolium 5.675 mg/lb.
    Pellets contain amprolium for effective control and treatment of coccidiosi in calves. Can be mixed in ration or top dressed. Prevention: Feed .04 lbs. per 100 lbs. of body weight for 21 days. Treatment: Feed .08 lbs. per 100 lbs. of body weight for 5 days.

So, with the label dosed for calves...you need to up the treatment dose 5 times.
    You need 750mg/15kg (30#kid)= 131#'s of pellets to equal 50mg/kg. per day.

:blush2 I just KNOW that can't be right. But, it's what I came up with 3 times. Anyone else want to take a stab at this before I loose my sanity?? :crazy
    Kaye

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

If you follow this x 5 it equals .4lb per 100 lb or .13 lb(about 2 oz) for 30 lb kid.

If you follow the 50 mg/kg times 5.675 mg/lb....I got 131 lb/day too.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:whew THANKS,Beth.
    I actually thought I'd lost it!!!
    Kaye

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Hhhmmm...that's kinda' what my homec teacher said. In 15yrs. of teaching, she'd never had a student flunk homec. Well....she did with me! All because we were suppose to sew a dress...did that, but refused to wear it in a fashion show. I DIDN'T do dresses in school....still don't do 'em real well. :rofl

Maybe it's a good thing they wouldn't eat them....getting them to eat 131#'s a day for 5 days, might have turned into a disaster. :really
    Kaye

7. buckrun

buckrun New Member

thanks for the smiles...couldn't afford 131 pounds per day for 10 kids for 5 days either!
    Lee