Copper

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Aug 22, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Thought I'd put this question in a new topic, even though it was sparked by a question in another topic...

Speaking of copper, can you point me in the direction of info on copper? It is in my feed, in my minerals, and I have some for my water, but leery of using too much. I looked at the soil map info for our county, and while most of the county is low, a sample taken down the road from me was very high in copper. (A cattle farm, and if they supplement, that might have something to do with it?) I understand that you might not know if you have too much until you have to do a liver biopsy, since by the time it is excessive in the bloodstream, the liver is so copper-toxic that it's too late?

Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Go to saanendoah.com Joyce is the one who did this study...not the other sites that don't give her credit and pretend it is theres.

She will also warn you of the ails of using copper sulfate in your water, it is already in your minerals and feed...if you need more copper than bolus with copper oxide or find a mineral that contains copper oxide, copper amino acids or copper chealtes...all, a few or something beside just copper sulfate.

It's really some pretty poor advice on the copper sulfate in the water, unless you are dealing with weeds in a pond. Certainly unhealthy for the girls rumens. Vicki

3. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks! And now I don't feel so bad about not always putting the copper sulfate in the water! It looks so gross, and it's crazy expensive!

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Crazier is when you really pin someone down giving this information :) Perhaps they could come up with a color of the sulfate water, like they have for the anemia chart of famacha. Light blue (and with the picture of the water) if you have light copper defficency...medium blue...well you get it. It's hocus pocus. vicki

5. stoneyheightsfarm

Okay, went to Saanendoah.com. I've been there before and goodness! No easy answers, are there?! SOOO much information! I'll have to sit with that one for a while! But now you've brought up FAMANCHA :) Shall I make yet another post?! :)

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I will answer your question ahead of time I think :)
    NO you can not rely on FAMANCHA alone only in conjunction with regular fecals.