Copper supplementation for hoof rot

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I have a farrier that argues something you put in an animals mouth cannot effect the insensitive parts of the hoof. Does anyone have studies on supplemental copper and it's effect for hoof rot prevention?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Put the following in google and you will get all sorts of articles

supplemental copper and its effect for hoof rot prevention

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I couldn't really find any for copper, I found a couple that talked about zinc supplementation, which is helpful, are there any specifically on copper?

4. Try looking under copper sulfate for hoof rot. Pops up with alot of sites.

5. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I am also a farrier, and I disagree 100%. EVERYTHING that goes in a hoofed animals mouth affects hoof health. I'm speaking about horses here, but it seems to carry over to goats too, at least in my herd. Too much sugar, as in sweet feed, excess grain the animal cannot utilize, lush grass, etc. will make feet fungusy, white lines will tear apart and bacteria will invade between the hoof wall and bone, connection will be lost, and the hoof will essentially begin to fall apart...perhaps the horse will even founder...happens every day.

That being said, I don't believe their is any one vitamin, mineral, treatment, etc. that will fix a hoof like this. In a nut-shell, very frequent trimming, getting rid of ALL flappy pieces, and fungusy junk...not enough to lame the animal though, and a careful watch on diet, and great barn cleaning will go a LONG way to ensuring healthy feet on any hoofed animal.
    Hope this helps.
    Anita

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

4fromgoatilia, that seems to bring up just topical application of copper.

Anita, I'm sure he recognizes metabolic disturbances of the hoof cause problems with white line integrity. It's more about mineral deficiency causing the insensitive portions of the hoof to be more susceptible to infection, and subsequent supplementation on these minerals reducing susceptibility to infection, such as thrush, hoof rot etc. He doesn't believe a higher copper mineral is able to help the thrush problems in my horses (which it did) because their is not actual circulation in the insensitive area of the frog. I had very difficult thrush problems in my (pastured, properly trimmed) horses until I changed minerals. I think we have very high iron, one of our ponds is very orange. And I think this is why the high copper helped so much. I don't have to worry about their feet anymore.

He also would take objection to you calling yourself a farrier :biggrin. Farriers apply shoes. :rolleyes

7. Yes I know, because if a hoof has foot rot I was instructed to soak the hoof in copper sulfate and not go with just supplemental minerals. This came from 4-h leader and vet. Let me explain. Doe was donated, came with gap between hoof wall and sole. Constant cleaning still wound up infected, change minerals. Still had problems with hoof growth and infection. I had not used copper sulfate on does hoof until I talked with 4-H leader. She told me Biomycin in sole and soak with copper sulfate until hoof was healed. Vet said the same thing and said that the damage to the hoof would take longer to heal by just mineral intake alone. Did as I was told and dremmeled the hoof down and now there is a healthy doe with a healed up hoof. Tammy

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ashley he certainly can't take exception to Anita as she also does shoe :)
    What I take exception to is a farrier contradicting anything I do or say regarding the health benefits of copper or any mineral given internally. I do think that zinc has more effect than copper but think abt it if the copper is imbalanced then everything else is also

9. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

:yeahthat I agree!!! I have raised and help raised my families horse for almost 30 years. No Hoof no horse... same with goats

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Oh, I didn't know that! I've been to her website and saw about the boots and natural hoof care. This is what I do with my horses, I trim them myself. I just didn't see mention of shoes, sorry!

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Of course topical treatment is needed, but in my cases, with my horses I was getting ok results at best with topical treatment, cutting out thrushy areas (and it was like tunneling into the frog) and constantly picking out feed and spraying and it was awful! I would get one spot cleared up and find another (it was odd in that you couldn't hardly see it, then you would scrape and see a little pinpoint that was moist, cut that and there would be a hole under it full of black yuck). Getting them on good minerals I don't have have to worry about it anymore. I just occasionally pick them out.