Copper mineral

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I was looking around and came across a mineral supplement manufactured by SweetLix. It is called CopperHead LS, and has 1800ppm copper, and I didn't see the usual crappy copper sources on the label. They have a normal salt version, but the LS is a low salt type 1.5-2% salt. The standard product has between 13-15% salt. I really don't want to add any additional salt to the diet if I don't have to, and since this comes in a low salt type, I am really interested in further information as well as any personal opinions.

The product tag is linked here http://www.sweetlix.com/user_files/File/labels/2693.pdf

Does anyone have any experience with this product, good or bad? Should i just stick with my usual SweetLix goat mineral and leave it at that? I think I need to copper bolus, as I noticed a bit of dryness to the goats coats, as well as a bit of red tinged tipping on their flanks. No white eye circles, however, I do have a doe with white stippling coming up the bridge of her nose. I have not yet had any liver biopsies done, and don't really want to if I can help it, as the vets in this area charge an arm and a leg for everything. I have also not had a dead animal to send a sample off from, except from one doe, but it was too late and she was already removed before I learned about the data a liver sample from a long term animal can give.

Also, FYI we have Toggenburgs, and I know that they tend to loose color rapidly when they are getting less than ideal ammounts of copper. Overall their coats are good, well colored, and the pigment is varied from DARK Chocolate to light Chocolate (matching their birth colors), just a few are showing what I always thought was 'sunburning' of the coats, and overall rough texture. All 5 of our does will be FF's this spring, and we also have two bucks, and one wether. 4 of the does are dry yearlings, one is a March doeling.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly :)

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Petroleum, Mineral Oil.....

And make sure you understand why the low salt form....

Feeding and Management
    Mineral Program
    Sweetlix® CopperHead® LS with RainBlocTM is
    a specially formulated low salt supplement for coastal
    regions where soil salt content may inhibit mineral
    consumption. Sweetlix 6% CopperHead LS with
    RainBloc is a 4:1 calcium to phosphorus mineral.

Salt should be a major ingredient in your mineral not behind molassas. They go to the mineral for their salt cravings, why when copper or any mineral becomes important you do not offer differeing forms of sodium. Will this be a good mineral for you? No idea. I am actually appalled at alot of Sweetlix's labels...cottonseed hulls, urea in a block labeled for goats...mineral oil etc..and this is a goat friendly company? What does this do to the rumen of your goat? Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I bought the sweetlix when I ran out of the other and let me tell you the goats didn't like it and you cold sure tell the difference with the molasses

4. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Which Sweetlix did you buy, Sondra? I have the Sweetlix Magnum Milk... Somone on here (can't remember who) said this was fine. Are there better ones we could look for?

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH I don't know Billie I just picked up a 25 lb bag to get me thru. Whim uses sweetlix I am pretty sure and has no problem I don't think. I just personally have a problem with molasses except the tiny bit in my beet pulp

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It was probably me Billie. My girls did really well on the Sweetlix Caprine Magnum Milk. However, I was just informed last week that it is no longer available to me. I am still looking for a local source though.

Sara

7. stoneyheightsfarm

Okay. Whew. :) There is a feed mill here that special orders it. Sara, maybe someone would do that for you?

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have tried and tried. My feed store used to special order it for me. Then they were no longer able to do that so I picked it up at a distributer 135 miles away. Now that isn't an option either. Not to mention the price more than doubled in the last year.

Uggggg!

Sara

9. stoneyheightsfarm

I think the price of just about everything has doubled in the past year! Uggg indeed!

I've only bought it once (my first bag of minerals has yet to run out) so I might run into the same thing here as far as I know. I'd definitely be interested in hearing what you switch to, or what anyone else out there likes.

I have a doeling that likes to lick me (hands, arms, legs, wherever she can get!) and have wondered if she's getting enough salt in the minerals... Or maybe I just taste good. :) Mosquitoes have always thought so! :)

10. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I don't have any problems with the goats not eating the SweetLix minerals, I was just wondering if that would be a decent source of usable copper. I don't have many other options other than regular cattle pasture mineral, and the big red trace mineral blocks which the goats CAN NOT get much out of other than licking. I have been using the regular loose SweetLix, and though that this might be better for a steady supply of copper.

I must admit though, if I didn't feed what I have available to me, the goats would get nothing, as I don't have many other options. I have been searching for better minerals for the last three years that I have had the goats, and this is the best that I can acquire!

Kelly :)

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I cant get Bluebonnet minerals anymore either , so what I do is buy the best mineral I can find with yeast and stuff in it and then buy Acidified Copper Sulfate #4122 from Hoeggers and add some to the minerals , it seems to work great and it really pinks up the eye lid's and gum's .

Has anybody else used it ?

12. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I have been using Carill's Right Now Onyx. I have been very happy with it!

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's fine to use products that others don't. Just make sure that you know most of us who give out this information and the thousands of goats tested on the saanendoah.com site were liver biopsied herds that we know what is working.

If you choose to use something out of the box, you need to have a little knowledge.

I would still give the advice to use what we know works in our area by those who have done liver biopsy. Then when you have some knowlege of the copper problems in your area in your herd tweak it to fit your herd. Vicki