copper bolus?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

hmm, i posted this once already but it's gone? so i'm trying again..

i have 3 here that have terrible fish tails. they are getting worse, even tho. i do have a high copper mineral. anyone know where i can buy just enough bolus for a few goats? i really dont' want to buy a big container of calf sized ones for only 3 goats. thanks

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Hmmmmm...

What did the liver biopsy say? Are your goats copper deficient?

A fish tail isn't a sole indication that you need to bolus. Copper isn't something to mess around with.

Sara

3. chewie

chewie New Member

oh, i didn't know that part. they didn't have these odd tails when i got them months ago, so i thought this was the reason. i do have a good mineral (researched here for that info.) so i am confused on what is causing this tail issue then?

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I don't rely on fish tail to tell me when to copper. I use the "ghost rings" around the eyes on the Toggs and Obies. Saanen...I go by their hair coat, since they have permanent white rings around their eyes.

Ok...when this fish tail thing started...I had panic. But, the longer I knew about it and the longer I watched my does...in the summer when there are flies, they constantly pat their tail on the ground. Now, LOGIC tells me that with that constant patting somethings gotta' give. The hair. Winter, everyone has proper looking tails. No flies, no constant patting the ground with the tail.

I also have done liver biopsy...just sent one in recently on a 3yr. old doe I put down. Copper level was normal at 2 months post boluse.(110ppm) But, she had a fish tail to the point of bald tip on the right side, some hair on the left. Hair around eyes was dark brown like it should be on a Togg.
    Kaye

5. chewie

chewie New Member

never heard of the white ring, will look for that. is it the hair turns white or the skin is pale? i am thinking the hair?

well then i will not bolus, as they seem very well other than this odd tail issue. they do swat flies alot, so i will see if this clears when the flies go. there are 3 with fishtailing, 2 have a bald tip. but if copper is that potent, i think i should just hope my mineral gets them enough, i sure dont' want 'the cure to kill them'! thanks

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Read Saanendoah, it's in there.

If you will follow Joyce's advice you will not overdose your does. I've heard (and cringed) at some of the doses of copper rods that some are giving! Some are giving the whole COW boluse which would be 25g instead of using the 12.5 split in half. Ugh.
    Kaye