Copper Bolus

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Mar 28, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

I have never given my goats copper. It was in the "complete" feed I was feeding. As I am learning tons of information from this forum and have changed my feeding program from commercial feed to whole oats, barley, BOSS and alfalfa pellets, do I need to give additional copper other than what is in my minerals? I am feeding Purina Goat minerals as that is all I can get locally. I have noticed over the last year that a couple of them have had coat changes even though they have been wormed.

Thanks,
    Vicki

2. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure what you mean by"coat changes" but if you live in a high iron location like I do, you may find your herd looking copper deficient even though you feed them "goat minerals".
    Megan

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Leo,

I do live in a high iron area. The water source for the goats is on same water conditioning system as our house.
    What I mean by "coat changes" is that on a couple of goats, their hair on their backs is growing the wrong way (sideways) and all squirly like they got electracuted. I hope I am making sense. And Hannah (nubian) who is black with tan trimmings now has reddish fringe down her back legs.

Vicki in NC

4. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi Vicki,
    I had a similar problem with my black doe after I moved to our new place(never had this problem at our old place about 30min away), copper bolusing helped alot, but she still wasn't the deep black I was used to so I changed their buckets to plastic since the metal ones were rusting(thought maybe zinc might be hindering absorbtion?) and stopped feeding sweet feed on the milking stand(now just whole oats). Then I noticed a big improvement.

I'm not sure about the hair being fuzzy though, maybe someone can help.
    Megan

5. LMonty

LMonty New Member

the black doe losing color is a major tip off, good pick up. I would definitely bolus if it was me.

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Yet another something I didn't know.

I've had GoatLix minerals out for my goats since I got them. But, my black LaMancha doe has a tinge of red to her hair these days. I thought it was just a change in hair color as she's gotten older. I didn't know it meant low copper.

This is a high iron area too. We have city water now, but when I was a kid we were on a well. There's so much iron in the well water here that mom used to take her whites to a laundry mat in town so they wouldn't turn orange. Toilets always had an orange tint to the bowl from the iron buildup. But that being said, the goats usually drink either rainwater or water from our city water... so I don't think the extra iron should be affecting them.

Anyway, I called both of the local feed stores this morning to ask if they have copper boluses. They don't. Is this something I'm going to have to order? or is it prescription only?

Thanks,
    Kathy

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

You order calf boluses (Copasure) from Jeffers or Valley Vet - then you have to resize them for your goats using empty capsules - also available at Valley Vet. I think there may be instructions in 101?

8. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

Thanks Rose for that link. The picture of the black doe is exactly what I was speaking of. I am definitely going to bolus my goats now.

Thanks again everyone.

Vicki in NC

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and wiry hair is another clue

10. rojen

rojen New Member

Boy am I glad for this forum!

I am having the same hair look. Copper was something I have been looking for in the vet and ag supplies it is not available locally. Looks like I'll ship it in.

How about coperas, does that help? I am well into growing my own feed, but I need to make up for the lack of copper in my soil. My doe has gone to the wirey reverse stripe on her back. The buckling too. But his hair changed from *regular wirey* to soft and fuzzy like some newborn kitten except the stripe down his back. Both also have dandruff. Her worse than him. It has cleaned up some since I got them, they have a lot better diet than when I got them, but they still have it. No ticks or lice or fleas though; even tho the neighborhood dogs are full of them.

11. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

In the link that Rose posted, there was information about using Copper Sulfate in a drench? Has anyone done this? I've never given a bolus and sticking that bolus thingy down their throats scares me :). I'm worried I'm going to scratch someone's throat!

My local feedstore is ordering the Copasure for me, though, so I'll have to do the bolus first... I'm just thinking a drench (which I have more experience with) would be easier. The whole "root killer" thing is a little unsettling, though...

Kathy

12. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

I have not had to drench anything yet and the idea of doing that scares me.......if you don't do that right fluid can get in their lungs!

13. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

The bolusing is not hard at all. I promise.
    If you get the little plastic baling gun it goes quickly and easily.
    We've done our adult crew twice now and the yearlings once. All are due again next month. I no longer fear the bolus. :)

14. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I have a hard time keeping the goats from chewing the bolus, even if I put it way back there. Anyone else have that problem? I started sticking it in there, and then puting the balling bug sidways in the mouth and using that to keep them from being able to chew while tipping their head up until it goes down lol.

15. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

You need to stick it way way back. Over the "hump" which is the back of their tongue. It will seem like you are choking them...but that way they can do nothing but swallow.

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's why on this site I don't like the article Rose sends folks to. I prefer saanendoah.com where the actual research on goats was done. Because if you read the research you wouldn't drench with copper sulfate. It's dangerous. Vicki

17. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

My local feed store says their supplier told them they aren't carrying Copasure anymore. He says he thinks they're trying to make it a "by prescription only" med here in AR. I don't know. I'll have to order it on line to get it. I can do that.

The two girls I'm stressing over (now that I know about coat changes) are both pregnant and expected to deliver the first week of May. Is there a problem with bolusing this late in pregnancy? If for some reason I can't get the Copasure before delivery, or there's a problem with bolusing this late, what problems can copper deficiency cause in their kids?

Every new thing I learn gives me one more thing to worry about... :/

Kathy

18. Rose

Rose New Member

Vicki,
    Last time I went to saanendoah.com, they had changed the articles that were available, and I couldn't find what was needed. Please let me know which article you would recommend that is up.

Thanks!
    Rose

19. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    Petsmart here sells a "boluse gun" for dogs,(I think it's $2-$5) It's a white long tube that fits the smaller pill size great, just put the tube all the way back, plunge, and they swallow it with minimal chewing, plus your fingers don't get cut by their molars.
    Kathy, I've only been giving them copper for a year now, but haven't noticed any issues with giving them their copper late in pregnancy.
    Megan