Copper bolus question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Jun 2, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I was measuring out copper the other day, and when I got up to 5 grams, it was almost too much for the 000 size capsule. I am using both 00 & 000. So I refilled some of the large calf capsules with what I needed for the goats that need 7g and up. Do you use another size larger capsule? or can you get one of those calf capsules down their throat? You know, not wanting to choke my girls to death... :)

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I buy one from Valley Vet that is size "13" - it holds enough for big does, but is still about half the size of the scary calf one.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just measured out extra in the small capsul and gave them two

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I just reused the calf capsules. You have to make sure you get the bolus gun way back in the throat. The capsules just go down. My does didn't even cough, spit or sputter. But I can tell you, I did this a few months ago and my does look great. I can really tell a difference in their coats.

Vicki in NC

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Scary is Right! It's good to know that they can swallow those things (Vicki in NC) but I like Sondra's suggestion of two smaller ones.

I've rigged a bit of tubing to fit the end of my drench gun to hold those smaller capsules.. now to go find the apple juice!

Thanks gals!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I wasn't going to buy two sizes

7. Whitney

Whitney Member

I just use two smaller capsules for the goats that need a larger dose.

8. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Are the dosages and how to figure them posted on Goatkeeping 101?

Tamera

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I just fill smaller ones that fit kids and then just give several to bigger bucks and does when they need them. I hate giving them big ole ones! vicki

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yep thanks for the post it reminder, I'm supposed to be bolusing this week!

12. It's bolus time here too...I realized I was about out of already prepared ones. Looked, didn't have enough to fill new capsules. Ordered some copper from Jeffer's on friday. Got it Monday.. So happy that my 22 year old daughter, actually LIKES filling them. I call her my little helper monkey :crazy
    susie, mo ozarks

13. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I can't remember what site I had gone to, but they figured the dosage to be 1gram of copper per 22lbs of goat.. so let's say you have a goat the weighs 150lbs, you divide that by 22 and get 6.8..well I just rounded to 7. and yes, I got a nice little gram scale for $7. from (can I post this?) OldWillKnottScales.com nice friendly folks out in Enid, Ok. :biggrin

14. susie

susie New Member

Stacy-
    which one did you get-- there are so many!!

Thx,
    susie

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

This is the one I got..

Proscale 222 "The Deuce"- Digital Pocket Scale / 0.1 Gram Scale

Weight Capacity: 222g x 0.1g
    Weighing Modes: g, oz, dwt, gn

The ProScale 222 digital pocket scale has a 222 gram capacity with a 0.1 gram resolution. This scale weighs in grams, ounces, pennyweights, and grains and has a bright backlit display. With the tare feature, you can use the protective cover as a tray. Batteries and a VibraKill Pad are included.

Today's Price : $9.90

OOps on the price..... :blush2 here's one for 7.99...

http://scales-n-tools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=334

16. susie

susie New Member

Thanks Stacy-- I think I'll check get one on sale-- did you notice that their soaping scale is on sale for 35 dollars??

Susie

17. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well, I just spent a wad of cash on soaping stuff.. molds, cutters, nice but if I spend anymore I'll be in trouble! :) I have a cheapie oz scale from WalMart that's been working quite well, so I can't justify another scale. :sigh

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am getting it for a spare :) Oldwillknott.com he is also on ebay is just the best!

Vicki

19. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

okay, don't throw things at me :/ I have never given copper to my goats...wouldn't know if they needed it or not :sigh wouldn't even know how to go about giving it either :help2

Sheryl

20. Belle

Belle New Member

There is lots of great info in 101 and throughout the forum about copper and also how to give it. Sannendoah.com also has a great article on copper deficiency. Hope that helps some!