Copper Bolus --need help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Linda Carney, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Linda Carney

Linda Carney New Member

This is the first time that I have copper bolussed and I need help splitting the dose into the smaller capsules. I looked on the Saanendoah site and saw the 1 gram per 22 pound guideline and downloaded the pdf file with the weight guidelines. I have the 12.5g Coppasure boluses and the size 13 capsules.

Biggest question -- do you simply split the doses, or weigh them out and re encapsulate them, or do you custom make the capsules to each of your goats weights? The dose guidelines have to be there for a reason. What about accuracy? There just has to be a better (easier) way than I am thinking. :help

Linda

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I make custom for each girl's weight. I make at least two per doe and put them in a ziplock bag with their name and weight on it. If anyone spits theirs out, I have a backup and if they spit out two, I can take the backup from another girl that weighs about the same. Rare-- but it happens.

Some people eyeball it, but we weigh it. You can eyeball splitting the pile of rods from one capsule in half to get 6.25 - that is the right size for a lot of goats (137). Other "Easy" amounts to eyeball would be 1/3 and 1/4 - anything beyond that I think you'd really be guessing.