Cooling milk and other Dairy quesitons..

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Mar 1, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Those of you that have dairy's, what do you find is the quickest way to cool your milk? I've seen some where they use those large, though I'm not sure exactly how large, SS Totes set in ice water in a chest freezer. I'm wondering, after it's chilled, how do you get the milk into jugs? It seems awfully cumbersome to try to pour from them.. am I missing a process? Now, I am talking raw milk that is not in a bulk tank.
    Do you milk into a bucket, pour into a "cooling container" then pour into individual jugs?
    I am missing something, aren't I....

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WEll I don't have a dairy tho I did visit the dairy down in Grandview when it first opened they had triple deep sinks and an icemaker filled one sink full of ice and the milk bucket were put in that , then strained put in their bottles and stored immediately in the Frig or Freezer they had right there,
    Now when it is hot here I put frozen bottles of water in my milker pail which is then poured into a covered pail or pails with ice bottles in them taken to the house and strained and bottled. Which will all change some to more like the dairy as soon as my milk room is finished.

3. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I don't know what quantity of milk you are talking about but when I was doing milk shares I cooled my milk in quart jars in a cooler. The jars of milk were put in a cooler then covered with ice. Part of the ice would melt making the jars sit in a very cold ice water bath. Customers could pick up the milk any time the following day (I did this in the evening) and the milk would still be in an ice bath.

Jolene

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well right now, I'm only putting up 3 gal per day. I've done glass jar and don't want to do that again. :nooo I've visited a couple of dairies also, and saw that they chilled their milk in totes, in slurried ice water kept in chest freezers. I was just wondering how one would deal with a greater volume of milk. No, I'm not going out to get a ton of goats :crazy all this milking stuff was just running through my head.. and it keeps my mind off my sick doe, if you know what I mean.. :sigh

5. steffb

steffb New Member

I milk around 6-8 gallons 2x a day. I milk by hand into a covered pail then strain into 1 gallon jars set in an ice water bath in the sink. It takes about 1-2 hours to get it down to 45 degrees, depending on the time of year.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Janie just got me some plastic jugs now too so I am moving to 1/2 gal plastic instead of glass.

7. Rose

Rose New Member

I thought plastic was a big "NO-NO" due to porosity and difficulty of cleaning, etc.

Please elaborate on your decision.

THANKS! :D

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't clean them Rose they are the 1/2 gal plastic milk jugs same that you buy milk in the store with. So once in the jug and used it is not used again or washed except for storing kids pasturized milk in. Human consumption is always a new bottle and secure lid.

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

We milk into SS buckets
    bring into house
    filter into glass qt jars
    place jars in big ice chest in an ice bath
    jars stay in the ice until chest is full...
    some prefer qt jars...
    those who want gallons... it is then poured (nice funnel!) into NEW plastic gallon jugs...
    if I am freezing it goes into the freezer 4-6hrs after ice bath in either qt jars or gal jugs depending...

works well for us...

We are avg 50-60lbs of milk per day.... with half our does yet to kid.

10. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I strain into 1/2 gallon glass jars and put them into a tote full of cold water that I keep in the barn fridge. I can't afford plastic and I like to be able to reuse when possible. Shannon