containers? for colustrum

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Feb 17, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Where would I get the best possible thing for sending in Colustrum samples? and what would be a good thing for sending milk samples in for mastitis testing or testing in general. I'm thinking specimen jars for urine, but where can I get my hands on some cheap? I have some blood tubes but I don't want to waste them on Colustrum as I want to send in. And Quick is good also as I am planning on freshening does this weekend : ) :biggrin

2. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

quick...let's see. If you go to the grocery store you can buy small (4oz I think) plastic bottles of juice for babies...unbreakable and not too big and bulky...you can buy those, sterilize them with boiling water and use them...

http://www.gerber.com/prodcat?catid=502

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am using urine specimin tubes from LeeAnn :) for colostrum, but used my red top vacutainer tubes for years before that. In fact I have sent in colostrum in a 10cc syringe before...Dr. Glass didn't say anything.

Purchase your vacutainer tubes by the case, sounds like alot, but you will use them up eventually. Much cheaper than $1 a piece at the vet or more than that apiece once you pay shipping on line. Vicki

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Well yeah, I have those but she said she needed something for this weekend so I was trying to think of what walmart might have :lol

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Or open an account with a lab and they will give you all you need :)

Then change accounts and get even more! :lol

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't understand this LeeAnne

8. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I am sorry to have sounded so cryptic, Sondra...I have an account at a lab where I send my midwifery clients blood and urine in for testing. The lab supplies almost all of my tubes, etc. About a year ago I opened an account with one lab, did NOT like the service that I got (since I am not a DOCTOR I was too low on their totem pole for actual customer service) and switched...leaving me with lots of excess tubes, etc.

9. How much colostrum do you have to send?