Constipation in kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Oregonian Chick, May 25, 2008.

1. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

OK this might seem like a stupid question but how does one give an enema to a kid? He is a 1st gen. MM and is about 5 days old....today I noticed he is constipated (was fine yesterday) but for his morning bottle when he tried pooping he couldn't and was straining/crying trying too. His companions (same age) are fine and dandy. So how on earth would I do this?

He is so tiny...do I just use a syringe and some warm water? Help?

Justine

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

You can either use a syringe with warm water or a fleet baby enema, or a glycerine suppository for babies. Either will work but if you dont have the others use the warm water and syringe w/o needle....He should get some relief soon after it.

3. Oregonian Chick

OK I went out and gave it to him...using warm water and a syringe sans needle. He has bloody stool! On his tail and around his rectum was blood (not old blood but bright red blood). He doesn't appear to be sick in anyway, very bright eyed and happy. He is eating just fine...this is the first I have noticed the blood stool. He didn't pass much poop and what he did pass was yellow and liquidy (sp) no hard chunks or nothing so I am guessing? he passed what ever was blocking him. Could this be cocci? Another thing I thought was even...ecoli? Maybe? He doesn't seem sick or anything but I am keeping a sharp eye on him.

Justine

4. Oregonian Chick

I looked up on cocci and is said acute is when they strain to poop and have bloody stool. Also said that kid will be dehydrated and sickly. He isn't dehydrated or sickly and I thought 5 days is to young for cocci? Should I start treating him as if it is cocci or wait and see? Oh yes his poop has no bad smells.

I have seen and treated cocci before but this is new for me if it is cocci.

Justine

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't think cocci but could have just scraped his rectum when finally passing the hard contipated stools. I would wait and see how he is tonight and tomorrow, myself take his temp. put a little karo in his bottles and some baking soda

6. Oregonian Chick

Ok thanks Sondra:-D. Work has been stressful and I have just been stressed out so seeing blood and him straining to go just was the cherry on the topping (still dealing with the doe who probably got her udder stepped on..getting better but still worrying).

I am heading into work now but I will give yall a update on him tonight/tomorrow morning.

Justine