Constipated First Freshner

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hello,
    My FF is four days fresh and her appetite has not yet regained it's former vigor. She does eat hay okay, but is still not very fond of her grain or anything else. She is not pooping or peeing much either, and I know because I've been with her almost all day, and she is worrying the heck out of me. Actually, I have not seen her poop at all today and she she peed once that I saw and it was only a small wee wee and dark yellow. She has free alfalfa pellets, minerals, baking soda, kelp and twice a day access to oats and/or beet pulp, none of which seem to interest her. I know ya gotta eat to poop. She does not seem unhealthy or listless, just wants to stand beside me all the time and do nothing. She seems to go up and down stairs more slowly, and I've yet to be able to get her to jump on the milkstand, which isn't a problem...she's a very, very, well-behaved milker. Any advice? I did give her calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium, plus a dose of probiotics mixed with water and molasses which I syringed in last night, and a vit. e pill. She likes hot water so have given that too. Any advice for anything else that might make her feel better? Her vulva seems sore, and she does not seem to like to lay down, even though she's well milked out. She has laid down today outside in the deep straw, but I could tell it botherd her when she wanted to lay in the grass paddock. It wasn't quite as soft. She has been crying a lot, which is why she is spending more time with me, and fighting with another doe all of a sudden so I have to keep them seperated. Any advice for something I might be missing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Anita

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Contipated First Freshner

Have you taken her temp?? I would give her a shot of BComplex and get some preparation H and rub on her rear end. Is she grinding her teeth like in pain? if so then a shot of banamine.

3. Anita Martin

Temp. 104. Couldn't get my thermometer to work. Had to use the family oral. Must remember that..... No teeth grinding. Just not quite normal. Very cold outside and extremely windy, which was making her cry. Fighting amongst herd mates. They were not allowing her into the sheds, so I've brought her inside to watch. I gave vit. c, and same vit. as last night, plus asprin. I do not have the b-complex. Can I get that over the counter? The only antibiotic I have on hand is Terramycin in a powder pack. Says to only give in drinking water. Would something like Penn-B be better? I can pick that up tomorrow. No retained placentas. Does this sound like milk fever? I'll get the prep. H tomorrow too. Been using witch hazel...it sure made me feel better after my three kids. Still not passing poo, which worries me. Seems like she wants to, but is sore. Will pick up an enema too. She's eating small amounts of beet pulp, sunflower seeds and alfalfa pellets right now. Water is also available. Still wants to lay down, but is afraid, so I made her a big thick bed lined with puppy pads beside my bed. (We've really got to work out this new fighting problem tomorrow). My neighbor may take the older doe for a few weeks until hormones get regulated better. Everyone used to get along so well!
    Thanks!
    Anita

4. Anita Martin

It's 5:30am. No poop or pee all night. Temp. this morning is 103.4. Ate last night, and is chewing cud. I saw a small smear of poop on the end of my thermometer when I pulled it out. Wondering if there could be a blockage or twist? How would I tell? Nearest store is about 25 miles away, so I want to wait until the farm store opens at noon to get both the antibiotic and the enema if needed. I'm concerned that using an oral laxative at this point, if there is a blockage, could make things worse. :sigh Anyone ever see this problem and if so how did it resolve? Thanks so much.
    Anita
    ps. she did finally lie down last night for a while

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I do not have the b-complex. Can I get that over the counter?

Yes,.....I would get the fortified B complex if they have it. W.

Does this sound like milk fever? .......Temp. this morning is 103.4.

Milk fever is kinda an oxymoron........it often comes with a lack or low body temp. W.

I would try an enema on her , and try to get some gut movement going. Warm water to her should be OK..........and I use plain active yogurt myself for the stomachs sake. I think that you may be dealing with a slight infection in the reproductive track........but getting her to poop might give her some relief from feeling so bad.

Whim

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If this doe were here she would get probios/Fortified B Complex/Vit C plus CMPK and if temp is 104 started on Pen Warm molasses water or even karo in it so she drinks a bunch If still no poo then an enema probably would be in order. Asprin is not going to help this doe in my opinion as it takes just too much to do anygood.

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Also liked what Sondra said....

Do you have any way to get some greens to give her to eat. I know that it is still winter, but maybe there is some wild honeysuckle vines, japanese privet hedge, maybe a ryegrass/wheat/winter oats field close by. Make sure that whatever you might find is not some kind of toxic plant......and I aint talking about giving her a bunch at one time.......feed it to her slowly, like a handful now, and another handful in a couple hours, and so on.
    Not to sure about lettuce at the store....but for sure I don't like cabbage or collards for goats.
    Maybe somebody can give you an idea about using lettuce.

Whim

8. Anita Martin

Thanks everyone. She is eating better today. Just nibbling, but eating nevertheless. She is outside the Doe paddock right now because of the fighting. There is lots of green grass shoots and weeds coming up and she is nibbling those. I just gave her three 1000 mg. crushed tablets of vit. c, plus a double dose of probiotic powder, and a dose of asprin just because I was hoping it would make her feel better. I do feel like she has an infection, so will get the pen. just as soon as the farm store opens. I'm also giving her the CMPK substitute once per day, and she is wearing a lovely pink blanket as she seems cold. Luckily the sun is out. Still have not seen her poop or pee yet. She's been outside for about 2 hours so she may have pooped and I did not see it. I feel like she is holding it due to the fear of pain. (that's what I did after I had kids). Will get an enema and prep. H. Thanks again.
    Anita

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I also like to offer then a handful of sour grapes from the store when they are not feeling well.....some like em, and some don't. Don't really know how much of a benefit it is to them, but it will sure make them curl their lip up at you.

Whim

10. Anita Martin

Mikey is not doing well. She is standing outside with her head hanging down. I did give her 1 ml of pen. g, or not quite that much because I had to shoot it twice and lost some. (my needle skills are just about 0). She's been nibbling off and on all day. Will check temp. again soon. Should I give more Pen. G? Bottle says 1ml, but 101 says 3 ml. I also gave her b complex, orally and rubbed her up really good with prep. h. and then gave an enema. No squaking from this girl..kind of worries me. Always well behaved, but this is scary. Did pass some small pellets, not hard and dry but smaller than normal. I found some young pine shoots and fresh grass and brought to her, which she ate well. Forgot about the grapes. I felt better when she stood out by the gate hollering at me. Any thoughts? More Pennecillan?
    Thanks.
    Anita

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I personally would get a temp ASAP...that dont sound good to me at all...tiny poo but she isnt really eating that much either. If her temp is up I would give her some banamine and that also will help her pain and tummy too...its 1cc per 100 lbs.

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

This is a bump as well as stuff off the top of my head.. Pen-G Procain (sp?) is given at a dose of 1ml per 15 lbs, so yea, she would need another shot.. how much does she weigh??
    Also, is she straining to poop?
    Also, stop the aspirin.. don't want to put an exclamation here, but really, like Sonya said, you have to give SO much of it for it to do any good, and all it will really do is mess up her rumen and ya don't want that!
    And remember, once you start with antibiotics, you need to continue with them for a minimum of 5 days.. wether your good at giving injections or not.. think of it this way, practice makes perfect! :D
    That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop on here to help out!

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3cc of pen per 50 lbs every 12 hrs. NO asprin get some banamine from your vet.

14. Anita Martin

Thanks everyone. She's getting 6cc of pen. this morning, and evening, and we're running down to the neighbors for a 1cc shot of banamine. She's doing about the same. Still running a temp. Not as depressed. Eating, but have not noticed her pooping or peeing. Does not strain or act like she has to go. Will give another enema. . No more asprin either.

15. Anita Martin

The banamine seemed to do the trick. Five minutes after her shot she pooped and peed a couple of times. Must have been the pain that was stopping her from trying. 6cc's of pen. also.

16. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:biggrin WOOHOO...glad to hear she finally did it...looks like its time to go get you a bottle of Banamine...I keep it on hand all the time...good stuff