Consequences of NO colostrum?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stacy adams, Mar 19, 2008.

1. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I had a lady call me today, had a Boer doe kid during the storm yesterday. I think she only had a doeling but apparently didn't come into milk so they've been feeding her milk.. She has been pooping, seemed somewhat constipated today (told her how to give an enema) and is very alert and otherwise doing well...
    Is there anything she should keep an eye on? start vaccinations early?
    :/

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hope they gave colostrum of some sort to the kid. even powdered cows.
    little karo in the bottle will help with constipation but the kid needs some colostrum before 14hrs old

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

From what she told me, no, the doeling didn't get any colostrum.. not even the powdered stuff! :nooo
    She should have called, I know, I have a bunch in the freezer, but it's too late now..
    My DH said that her gut won't develop properly (he's reading a cow forum)..
    If it's bad, I want her to know what to expect... :help2

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I had some stuff stored on my computer
    CD/ANTITOXIN is given sq and po
    http://kinne.net/plasma.htm

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Wow, cool idea on the plasma info!!
    Ok, so this kid is now over 24hours old.. small frequent feedings, whole milk. And they recommend CD/T (or antitoxin) at this age?
    Would you know the dosage?
    Thanks Sondra, she'll be calling in the morning to give me an update.. I was hoping to have good news for her.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CD ANTITOXIN use it as you would for entro only a one time deal

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Nonsense :)

Antitoxin imparts no immunity.

I would start this doe on a vaccination program at 3 weeks, with CD&T every 21 days until over 12 weeks old. About 8 months I would give her lysigin, 2 shots 21 days apart. I would also vaccinate her before summer is over for pasteurella pnemonia.

What problems are in the herd she is living with? Ecoli? Mycoplasma? CL? Then vaccinate her for these. Vicki

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:) just what I had in old notes so what do I know HA! follow Vicki's advice Stacy evidently these notes did not come from her:)

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Baby goats are actually tougher than most species when it comes to not getting colostrum. Yes, they need colostrum for the antibodies, but they can survive without them with proper management.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

There is a product sold by Hoegger's and PBS Animal Health called Goat Serum Concentrate. I don't know if that would help? It is antibodies spun down from goat blood, supposed to be used in newborn kids and older goats if they get sick. I've even heard some people use it for mastitis treatment.

11. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I did not know that about plasma, neat!

12. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Research on colostrum products have shown them to be nearly useless in imparting antibodies to the newborn. In fact, when doing studies researchers won't even use animals that have been given no colostrum as a control, because they almost always are un-thrifty and die later.(So the vet said. I'm sure there are exceptions. ) I find that fact to be significant that the animal needs colostrum. Some of the vets at the MSU did a study on colostrum, colostrum replacement products, and heat treated colostrum over this last summer. They found that colostrum replacement products did not impart immunity to the animals, nor significantly raise the blood serum levels of the antibodies. (I forget which ones.)

You can read more about it here: http://jds.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/11/5189

I'm sure she can still get some colostrum into the animal, even now and it might help it live.

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also know that you can not find out the source of blood products...are the goats tested and negative for CAE, Johnnes, Mycoplasma, before their blood is used for these products? I knew personally the folks in Santee, California who used to have a blood herd for the San Diego Zoo. They are now a large horse training facility and no longer have the goats. It was beyound a doubt the nastiest group of goats I have ever seen. Dry lotted, grass hay, sweet feed or whatever was left the horses did not eat, but OH NO, don't ever give them any alfalfa that has dropped, just a pile of grass hay from the bottom of the boarded horses stalls. nasty. Vicki