Confused so don't yell at me!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

But is drenching with Copper Sulfate bad?? I read about it on the Saanendoah website and I thought it might be a good thing for me since we generally have high copper levels in the soil. But then I've heard so many negative things that now I"m not sure what to think!

The only time I have seen the "ghost rings" on eyes and fading in color was on goats I brought up from Iowa. I don't want to bolus since we have adequate copper but I thought the drench might help the initial deficiency and then their minerals could keep them at proper levels. I'm not sure how to even tell without obvious symptoms or a liver biopsy (or am I wrong in that you can test the live animal also??) Please help :help

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When my friend was at convention last fall, that issue was addressed. The vets recommended that the goats not be bolused unless you know you have a deficiency. From what she understood, there is a test for live goats. I don't drench my goats. I just feed a mineral containing copper. In my opinion, if your goats have no symptoms, I would just feed them a good mineral and not bolus them. People on this forum live in different parts of the country and their management practices will reflect what they have to deal with. Where I live, I know quite a few goat breeders and none of us bolus our goats.

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Thanks...that's pretty much what I've been doing until I can get a livery biopsy done on a goat I've owned for a while but what should I do with goats from copper deficient areas? Let them come up to normal levels with just minerals and browse or try to get them up and then maintain from there?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

All I know is in my herd if I bolus incoming stock, and then put them on my mineral and my management they don't need to be bolused. I do bolus my bucks because they rarely eat minerals once out in the woods pen. I chickened out of doing a kid, but am going to liver sample the first kid I can, I am thinking of keeping a wether for this to see the numbers for myself in that pen.

There is enough copper sulfate in your minerals there is no need to add more of the least effective copper to the rumen. The study also shows that it is harmful to the rumen.

It does get my goat a little when folks poo poo the saanendoah.com for information that wasn't done on HUNDREDS of goats, or hersay or guessing. What does one need to do before it's taken for fact..just because she doesn't have a dr. after her name.

And bolusing when someone in your area doesn't have copper liver biopsy results for you to use is very chancy. Bolusing and then continueing with a high copper mineral especially one with more bioavailable copper in it is scarry! Vicki

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have bolused and now I have gone to sweetlix magnum milk mineral. I am on my first bag. It is the only one available local that has close to the same levels as the ones all you girls use. I bugged the heck out of TSC trying to get them but no go. I am paying 14.00 for 25lbs I am not sure if that is good or bad.

Now if I had new ones comeing in from questionable places I would bolus like Vicki does . Then put on a good mineral and forget it.

Patty

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'll have to go see how big the bag of minerals that I use (TechMaster Complete) is, but I'm thinking 25 lbs and it's about $28.. so no, $14 is not a bad price.. though I do want to ask Patty, is the sweetlix magnum mineral a bag of minerals? or their molasses stuff? I know they make a 'tub' of molasses protein stuff the Boer herds around here use and was just wondering about their minerals.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and think now TM is over $30 here for 50lb

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I bolused twice last year. First on suggestion of a local breeder and then again as the second dose. My does showed some signs of copper deficiency...black goats with rust coloring, bald tail tips, etc. Now I am using Blue Bonnet Tech Master Complete minerals. It is unlikely that I would ever be able to test for copper deficiency locally. So, is it suggested that I do not bolus again since my minerals are good? What if I see my black does getting rusty again?

As a side note, the buck I borrowed is getting copper sulfate in his daily ration (Pat Coleby style) and has a bald tail tip, very rough, and possibly a bleached out looking coat. Seems to me that the copper sulfate isn't doing as good a job for him as boluses have done for me. But that's my uneducated guess.

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I am paying $27.10 for a 50# bag of Bluebonnet Tech Master Complete.

10. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Vicki, we have a wether that would be great for liver analysis when he dies. But he is 11 and will never die of natural causes, ever, and B i l l y thinks he should live out his life and not be butchered. If you get a wether, be prepared to keep him into his late old age, they don't die when they should. Or just kill him for his liver.

Do you think wethers did something bad in their past lives?

11. NubianSoaps.com

Since for myself, I am curious as to the liver numbers when my doelings are being bred, I will keep him until that age and then butcher him. This will tell me if indeed they need to be bolused when young or not. Vicki

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

How much does the liver analysis cost? My dogs don't need EVERY scrap of liver and we sure don't eat it :nooo

13. NubianSoaps.com

I haven't done one since 2002 when it was $35? I know it was less than $50. And now that Babette is bred I won't be doing one this week afterall ;) Vicki