confused over dewormer dosages!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Jan 15, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Before I try anything or give someone else information, I always like to confirm that the information I have is right.

I don't think myself a total idiot but I cannot firgure out what those pages from Saanendoah in Info 101 are saying! I tried to work out the conversions mg/kg to ml/lb but then when I went to the bottle it was ml/lb for cattle!

Can there be a simple post of "real" dosages (and milk withdraw times)in 101? cc or ml/lb? for the common, acceptable goat dewormers?

And also, I have been told that sometimes the Saanendoah information is out of date. Even if I could understand it, can I trust it?

I have the Prohibit drench info and it is clear, thank you, Vicki! :biggrin

I want to confirm my dosage notes for:

Cydectin Pour-On
    Safeguard/Panacur
    Ivermectin 1% Injectible
    Ivomem Plus
    Valbazen
    Prohibit (I have Vicki's info from 101)

I won't post what dosages I have lest they be wrong and someone read what I have posted and use those.
    Thank you.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

With the Ivermectin, we give 3cc per 100 lb. Valbazen is 10cc per 100 lb. What my friend told me with wormers, if you don't know the exact dose, give double the cattle dose per pound.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

cydectin is 1cc/22lb

valbezan is 1cc/10lb

ivermectin plus... I was told 1cc/50lbs and 1cc/30lbs so where you are may matter on this... I gave 1cc/30lbs because Vickie is just a few hrs from me and that was her recommendation

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ditto above. Plain 1% Ivermectin was 1cc per 50 pounds orally....1cc per 100 pounds injected for lice, mites and nosebots. IF IT WORKS IN YOUR AREA anymore!

Ivermectin plus, what Lynn said and Cydectin 1cc per 25 pounds here.

The only time I use panacur or safeguard is with another wormer as a cocktail. Doseages are from 3 to 5 times the horse amounts given once to 5 days in a row, so it's mostly stupid info, simply not from fecaling but form guessing. Someone given info like that...RUN!

Valbazen info is above, but know that it is mostly an infant kid wormer that is not raised in or around adult poop, it is once again the perfect tapewormer and also liverflukes and lungworm...and to use in cocktails...it is not a good adult goat wormer unless you fecal and know it is working.

Vicki

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thank you all. Yes! I do definitely believe that fecal exams are priority and the best way to know how effective your program is. But in the case of those does in poor condition and now in the winter months where a fecal exam showed nothing...if it were me, I would have to go by what the knowlegable goat keepers suggest. I want to have all of my information noted correctly and in a useful, easy to understand format.

Most of what I wanted to note was given...the dose, the effectiveness, uses but also it would be good to know what can be used on bred does (after 50 days?) and what the milk withdraw is on each.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do understand that milk withdrawals come from cows, with much faster metabolisims I would doubt we have much in the way of milk withdrawal of anything, until we go off lable.

When using injectables and pourone orally or 2 times dosages etc...yes you are going to have residue. Unless it is stated in Goat medicine with a study in the bibliography that states it was done on goats (and I have a whole 3 ring binder of copies of some of this) than it's a guess only.

And fecal sampling in the winter is not going to give you the whole picture you have to go by condition also.

And if you live by the montra that NOTHING is ok to give to your goat during the first 25 days of pregnancy, implantation period, you will be much safer. Thinking that this drug or this chemical or this group of herbs, or whatever is safe to give to your goat while she is implanting and sloughing eggs, literally choosing how many to implant with conditions like.... gaining plain of nutrition or starvation etc. deciding for you how many kids you will have, or if she will slip the entire pregnancy. Use prevention, dose before pregnancy, don't breed her unless she is 100%, then only use something to save her life. Vicki