Conformation - can you show a wether?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, May 2, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Is there a resource we can use to figure out conformation, breed standards, etc?

And also do you register and show wethers? I'm totally new to this registering and showing thing. We have a wonderful grade La Mancha that I want to see how well he meets breed standard because I think my youngest son would love to show him as well as our buck. And I'm wondering if it's worth it at all (or even possible) to register a grade wether.

Thanks,

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

You cannot register wethers with ADGA. If your son wants to show him, there may be classes in his 4H group where he can. I know the 4H group in my area allows kids to enter dairy wethers in the market wether class and also a cart goat and pack goat exhibition. Kathie

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Do you have an ADGA membership? Go to ADGA.com
    Their Guidebook and also their website explains breed standards, I believe. As far as "registering" grades...It is not done. You can however "record" grades but females only. I will type in what is in the 2007 guidebook under Alpine Breed Standards in my next post.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Alpine Breed Standards:

"The Alpine Dairy Goat is also referred to as the French Alpine and registration papers for this dairy goat use both designations and they are synonymous. The Alpine dairy goat is a medium to large size animal, alertly graceful, with erect ears, offering all colors and combinations of colors with distinction and individuality of appearance. They are hardy, adaptable animals that thrive in any climate while maintaining good health and excellent production. The hair is medium to short. The face is straight. A Roman nose, Toggenburg color and markings, or all-white is discriminated against." 2007 ADGA Guidebook Page 110 Par. 1

Hope this helps a little. It also goes on to describe the different colors and what they look like.

BTW I looked in the table of content of this guidebook and I saw that they mentioned showing does and bucks but not wethers.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

He could show him in a 4H project show. But not in an offical show. ADGA started the wether certification program so folks can 'register' their wethers and not have to tag them for scrapie.

Good conformation for a wether would be cuts of meat, wide long loin, good hams etc.....wethered livestock is food. Spending the same amount of time and money on a doeling who your son could show and sell breeding stock and milk out of makes a whole lot more sense. And older does can eaisly pull carts also. Vicki

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

:lol Vicki -
    Well this wether we are keeping for a companion for our buck.
    We'll stick to showing does and the buck when the time comes
    Thanks,
    Bethany