Concrete for milk room

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I'm so excited- my concrete was poured yesterday! It's a 22 X 19 slab for the carport that will arrive soon. I have 2 drains in the floor in the front part & the back part has the floor sloped so I can easily hose. I plan on a 12 X 11 area to milk in, a 12 X 8 area to filer milk & for the refrigerator, then the back 10X 19 is where the does can stand around & eat while waiting their turn to be milked. This sure will beat the tarp covered shed I've been using :).

Anyone have suggestions on best way to finish it out? I have a handy man who'll finish it, run water electric etc, so anything that'd be nice to put in, I'd like to know about!

Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Make sure they broom the surface of the concrete, you don't want it slippery when it dries.

Electrical outlets everywhere.. I want one of those overhead pulldown type ones that spring back up into the air when you are through using it. How great for clipping. Also lighting, no dark corners for them to hide in and kid, or for snakes! Storage, storage and more storage, no shelves which collect dust, everything in cabinets with tight fitting doors. Congrats!!! Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CONGRATULATIONS!! wish my milking and handling rooms could have been bigger like yours.

4. coso

coso Guest

Sounds good. I wish I had the funds to do something like that right now. If I was you I would get a hold of your State Milk Board or whatever you have in TX. If you ever wanted to go grade A there might be some things you could do now to save you cost in the long run.

Vicki, Those snakes won't hurt you. :biggrin

5. concrete guys are due here any day... I'm so far behind, I'm not even sure exactly what size slab I want/need. I would like to have enough room to have 8 does on each side in at the same time. One group finishing up their feed, while we start on the other group. I need to have room on the slab for a cow stanchion too.. but I don't want the stinky/poopy cows in my nice clean goat side LOL.. so they will need to be on the back side of the wall, but still on concrete... We are also putting in a milk prep room on the other end of the milking room.. Just not sure how big is big enough, without getting too big (or going broke LOL) My daughter & I can build the building, but not do the concrete work (at least not well enough I'd ever want anyone to see it) Chris.. didn't you say I DON'T have to have a bathroom if it's just us and no employees? (want to build to grade A specs or close, even if we never go grade A) I was thinking maybe 16x24??? Yikes, just trying to decide what size is making my brain hurt.. :crazy
    susie, mo ozarks

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Thanks Vicki....printed out your list for my handyman. At this point, I can do whatever I want so any ideas anyone has are appreciated

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Hooray! Isn't it exciting?

Make sure you have enough in-slab drains, you'll need sink drains (at least one) as well as your floor drains.
    When you finish it out, spend the extra money for mold resistant walls. Put in more outlets than you think you'll need.
    If you have more than one door, put a light switch at each.

My best tips. We've been using ours for a few eeks now. SO fabulous. :)

8. Susie,

In MO you have to have a bathroom in a grade A barn if you have employees or if you dont. We have one in our old milk barn and no one but Dad and I milked in there for over 15 years. Never used it but its there.

Ken in MO

9. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Do you have plans for a hot water heater in there? If you do get an electric one and buy one of those timers that is hard wired in. You can actually set the dial for the hot water heater to come on and go off at certain times. It saves on electricity. Unless you get one of the larger units those small tankless hot water heaters just won't supply enough hot water. Don't forget a connection for your t.v. and a place for your coffee pot. :) As far as wiring. I have my hot water heater on a separate breaker and my milking machine plug on a separate breaker, All the lights are on a breaker and all the rest of the plugs are on a separate breaker. I use filing cabinets to keep my stuff in. I have 2 tall ones and a short one that I keep my meds, towels, clippers, tags, well.... everything in. This don't get dusty and they are cheap. You can pick up filing cabinets at old resale stores pretty readily. I got mine for $15.00 each for the big ones and $7.50 for the small one.

11. coso

coso Guest

Susie, The way I understood it when the Milk Board guy( wish I could remember his name but it's at home) told us that we talked to was that if the dairy unit is not an integral part of the farmstead or if hired help is employed a convenient toilet must be provided. I'll e-mail you the info he gave us but you better call and make sure, cause Ken has a lot more experience in this area then I do.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The dairy I helped get started out here had this tiny bathroom. The toiliet lid was this tiny sink with a little faucet on it, like a water faucet you drink water out of...or a bar sink. It had disposable towels above it, in a container you see in bathrooms in businesses. It was really cool and really small. Vicki

13. Rose

Rose New Member

Or better yet, get an on demand water heater. I have them in my home and office. No reason to heat a tank of water for use only 30 minutes twice a day!

14. The bathroom can be any size...but it has to have it in...a toilet, sink, drain and paper towels. That is all the PMO says. SO if you dont mind a really small bathroom make one.

Also to be Grade A you need to have a milk port out of the milk house...really a simple thing. Concrete under the milk port with at least 3 feet around it. Most people have it going out by the door and then have a front porch area. Also a concrete holding area for atleast an hours worth of milking...so if you can milk 500 an hour...you have to have it large enough to hold 500.

Also, you CAN NOT milk a cow within a goat milking parlor. That is not allowed in any state. They are two different types of milk. So you can not use any of the same equiptment for both except a wash sink.

You can call the State Milk board and get all the guildlines for building a Grade A milking parlor free of charge. Also if you are going to build it to "might" be a grade A then its best to get your plans ok'ed before you start. Then once your plans are ok...you can start building and if any new laws come up you will not be affected. If you wait then if a new law comes up then you have to go by that law. That does not mean that you have to ship milk. Just get a Grade A permit...$25 a year. That will grandfather you in with what you have, if you dont then if and when you want to sell milk you have to do a bunch of changes.

Ken in MO

15. susie

susie New Member

That is a cool toilet! In washington you only need a toilet if you hire outside employees-- or a gal said that a port-a potty with hand sanitizer meets it ( don't know about that)
    Not to doubt Ken, just making conversation :)

Susie