Colostrum question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Mar 9, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Melia kidded with triplets today. I made sure all three got some colostrum. Due to hubby not wanting to have to bottle feed a whole bunch of babies while I'm at work, I'm leaving two of the kids on mom. I pulled one of the doelings. Melia doesn't freshen with much milk. It comes in later. When I went to milk her to get the baby's evening meal, all I got was a couple ounces. I'm sure the two on her have been nursing. I checked the freezer and I don't have any first day colostrum. I do have some third day milk which I mixed with mom's colostrum and added a teaspoon of colostrum powder I bought from Hoeggers (cow product, but labelled for goats). I'll check Melia for milk in the morning, but I don't know if the kids on her will leave much milk for me to get for the house baby. I'm aware that the antibodies are only absorbed for the first 12-24 hours, but is there other stuff in the first couple of day's milk that the baby needs for healthy digestion? Would you experienced goat breeders start feeding regular pasteurized goat milk the second day? Kathie

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I'm not one of the experieneced ones, but I can tell you all of our girls start making sweet milk on day 2. I marvel at all of the threads where people say it takes weeks to get to that point. Maybe there's some nutritional difference, but it smells, tastes and foams like just milk here. That leads me to belive that you should be fine just giving them just plain milk now.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If she got the required amount in the first 12 hrs then either go with colostrum from a second day goat that you have stored or go to milk she'll be fine. I would think. make sure she passes the merconium as colostrum helps with that also.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Yesterday and this morning she got mim's colostrum mixed with some third day milk. I didn't have any second day in the freezer. Today I got about 4 oz from her dam and mixed it with the remaining third day milk for hubby to feed. I'm also pasteurizing another goe's milk for her. She passed lots of meconium this morning and is acting like a healthy little goat. Kathie