Colostrum CAE Testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay, Vicki, or sombody, I know you have talked about testing colostrum for CAE. Tell me about the procedure? First squirts of colostrum. Can you freeze it if you cant ship right away? What kind of containers can you put it in for sending to lab? How do you need to ship? Is this better than the blood draw?

Please let me know. If I can collect the samples and freeze them before sending in, I might be able to get this one done. :rofl

Anyway, please enlighten me.

Thanks

Sheryl

2. Also, what all do you have to do, like filling out papers? ect ect. Where to send it? I am interested in this. I have a pygmy due to kid this month and would love to be able to do this test instead of fight her to get blood.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Go to Pan American Vet Labs website and you can get information about shipping, etc.
    www.pavlab.com or call toll free: 1/800/856-9655. Dr. Glass will be glad to answer all of your questions.

4. Thanks for the link. I have been reading through the website but couldn't find the answer to my question...

Are there additional fees besides the testing fee of $6 for the CAE Testing?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No additional fees it's $6.

I clean the teat really well, have a clean container with the does name on it. A squirt of colostrum on the ground and then fill the container. I put all the colostrum tubes in the fridge in a coffee cup and send them in each Monday. I simply send mine flat rate with an ice pack all wrapped in foil and then in bubble wrap. I have never frozen mine and it wasn't part of the original protocoal when we first did it, so no I don't freeze it.

I put a seperate paper in mine in a ziplock with my name, customer number, address, phone number and ask them to CAE test this colostrum. I also include a check although they will bill you. Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

are you using the red capped tubes?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I always have, although at another farm on a doe I was going to buy I filled up a 10cc syringe with colostrum and they didn't have a problem with that. I now use these cool plastic urine sample tubes with twist on tops that LeeAnn got me. Vicki

8. Ok thanks!!

9. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I could have sworn that someone posted that they froze the samples then sent them in at one time.