Colostrum Article

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Has anyone else read the article about colostrum in UCN? It says that a high bacteria count in the intestine results in low antibody absorption so not to give probiotics until 6 hrs after the last colostrum feeding. Swiping that stuff into newborns mouth is one of the things I do while I'm heat treating colostrum. I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot. I'll have to see if I can find some more info on that and re-think... :sigh

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I never use probiotics on newborns I have always figured probiotics only help when their rumens start working.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat Same here...

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We know that probiotics have nothing to do with rumen health, remember? It only contains one bacteria culture, acidophilous found in yogurt that does anything for the rumen.

My idea in using probiotics in infants is this. Nursing infants, except for us women who wear bras and are ultra clean nurse bacteria off their dams teats from the very first suck of colostum there is barn muck, birth fluid and bacteria laden nasties introduced into kids. And I think kids are healthier with this wide range of bacteria from their enviornment introduced early like this. So using kefier or probiotics to kids helps them build beneficial colonies of bacteria into their intestine and stomach to aid in building immunity. Probiotics introduced cleanly or bacteria laden teats :) Pick your innoculation...but all mammals have bacteria from this in their intestines.

OK so who wrote this article? Vicki

5. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

The article doesn't list an author, just says it was written for dairy calves and sites "clinical Studies" on them.

Hmm. Well, I was wondering because I know I often put to much 'human' logic to stuff. I'm a big believer in a healthy gut, good bacteria etc. for people and it seemed like a good idea to get that stuff going right off the bat...but then what do I know!?!?

6. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

I betcha ten this is that same article I posted about a few weeks back. Dr's name was Johnson, and did a colostrum transfer study about antibodies, Ht colostrum, and replacement products. In that study they found that immunity was better with HT colostrum rather than raw and thier conclusion went something like this: (in my own words, of course,) An calf or goat, is born with special colostrum absorbing cells that line the intestine for 24 hours after birth. These cells are like the spots in a chinese checker board. They can absorb a "bacteria" marble or a "colostrum" marble, but one full then they won't absorb anymore. So they found that by HT'ing the colostrum the animals were able to absorb more of the antibodies from the colostrum and less bacteria from the raw colostrum. This raised the blood serum antibodies noticeably. The actual article explains it much better than I can, of course. :lol

I don't have the url for this study handy at the moment, but I think if you google the name, calf colostrum transfer it might pop up. I had to pay for the full article.

If I get to the other computer I'll try and find that article url again.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

The same reasoning was given me when I was fighting E. Coli with giving the antibody ASAP after birth as is possible. It puts the antibodies in before the bacteria is able to get a foothold in the body...put in layman's terms!
    Kaye

8. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

One of the interesting things they were trying to do was find a temp that killed paratuberculosis (aka Johnes) So they used the temp of 140 for their HT experiements. It worked in all but one of their experiments.
    So the temp of 140 killed everything except one colony of Johnes, and kept the antibodies active and alive and useful.

9. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm