Colostrometer

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Dec 28, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's what the Houston Zoo came up here with to test my does colostrum before they started purchasing from me. So yes I have seen it work. It is also used for making champagne :) Seen it used for that also :) Vicki

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

So, does it just test the thickness of the liquid?

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

It tests the antibody level in the colostrum.

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I have seen them. Have wished I had one, but other things come before it. I did have some colostrum tested by my vet, she just wanted to know the level in the colostrum from this cow. She turns 11 this year and was on her 8th freshening when I got the colostrum last year. It has been the thickest & most yellow colostrum I seen, the levels came back some of the highest she has seen! I am quite happy with the results that it did for my 2 week early half starved kids. I do wish she still was on her early December freshening time, now she won't calving until June. But she was my milk gal, I got 6 gallons from the first milking.
    Just wondering Vicki, what does the meter test for in champagne?

5. NubianSoaps.com

From the far reaches of the cobwebs in my brain, my father and a dear friend of his made Champagne, he lived on Wineglass Lane in Arizona :) I believe it measures specific gravity. When the zoo pulled out the clostromidor, I knew exactly what it was, they just don't call it the same thing in wine making, well I don't remember them calling it that. vicki

6. KingsCoGoatGuy

Interesting. I wonder if wine makers have them? Have a couple friends that do that. :)

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

When Penny kidded, which was the first kidding here, her milk colostrum was like sweetened condensed milk, actually a little thicker. I was afraid something was wrong when I couldn't get anything to come out of the teat. With a lot of squeezing some blobs starting coming out. Once the babies started nursing it started flowing better. At the time I didn't know it was a good thing. :) Boy that stuff is sticky.

8. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

For ordinary people like me what would be the benefit of having one?

10. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Alex,
    was this cow with the super-high antibody levels in her colostrum the one that delivered the early calves? Just wondering, because in people, if you deliver early, your breast milk is different from that of a mother of a full term baby. So I was wondering if maybe it's the same for cows (or goats).

11. NubianSoaps.com

None :) Good rule of thumb is simply use your older does first colostrum, and it's free. Vicki

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is what I thought :)

13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Except for the neato factor

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

You got that right! unfortunately, that factor is usually short lived.

15. KingsCoGoatGuy

No she went to term with a bull calf. (Its also free, as I get it from family.)

16. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

Would your family consider adopting me?? LOL

17. KingsCoGoatGuy

Would your family consider adopting me?? LOL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Turst me, you would be better off infecting your herd with CAE. I was almost cut off for asking for a new bale of silage as it had mold on it. The colostrum is useless to them since the cows milk more then what the calf can drink in the first 12 hours.