coloring and swirls again

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by KUrby, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KUrby

KUrby New Member

I have bought some ultramarines and 1 oxide colorant. I did a swirl with the blue one. I had a hard time getting this colorant to blend in the small amount of soap I took out to swirl. How can I do this without have beads of coloring in my soap!??
    Begginers minds what to know.
    Karen

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I mix my ultramarines with a tiny bit of water first then into the soap I want colored. I haven't used my oxides yet but I think they are better mixed with a bit of oil first.

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I mix mine with oil first, this will superfat your soap at the same time.. oil and a small whisk works great...
    Barbara

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Did you try using your stick blender?

Sara

5. lynpea

lynpea New Member

I do the same as Kalne. Using the tiny bit of water first helps to soften it so that it mixes in the oils more readily. The other thing that I use is the tiny little drink blenders that I got at IKEA. They are the BEST IMO for mixing the oxides, especially TD. After sitting in the water to soften, they blend up really easily in the oil. They were only $2.00 and I have seen them other places for much more. They are cheapy little things but I love them.

6. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Lynn where is IKEA? 2.00 sounds good to me!
    Karen

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

There is one in around Houston and one north of Dallas. believe also you can order from them online.

8. I mix ultramarines with a tiny bit of water, just use a whisk in a small bowl. The color will be evn that way.
    Becky

9. Happytailzfarm

Happytailzfarm New Member

Wish I would have read this thread before now, I used FD&C Yellow without first putting water in it and the crystals never disolved, threw out that batch. Anyway, who knew<G> When I washed out the mold it sure was a pretty yellow though
    aletha