Color Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by buckrun, Jul 1, 2009.

1. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I have a very light buck kid - cream in front honey in the back. I am wondering if he will stay light.
    We have never had a Nubian buck that did not have the black collar and breast plate once they reached breeding age. I sure would like to have something different to look at!
    Lee

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Me neither. GE is blonde, he started his black chest about 2 years old and completed it now, you wouldn't think he was the same boy. I have been told that even black bucks have black capes, you just can't see it because they are ummmm...black :) Do white Nubian bucklings grow black capes?

That would be a good question for those with older bucks...do they all have their full black breasts and capes? Vicki

3. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

We have 4 GE daughters and all but one has a black chest! Must be a GE mark or something... :D
    Still keeping an eye on the 4th daughter to see if she gets the black spot.

4. NubianSoaps.com

No it's not seen in girls. Boys as they age start getting black on their chest and on their withers, the older they get the bigger the chest piece gets and it connects to the black on the withers, making a complete cape by 5. Testosterone maybe? Vicki

5. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I don't think experience is the key-altho that was good for a grin.
    Here are 2 bucks in Feb of this year at 9 months old... Colored up all the way around the chest and neck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

6. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah them are some pure bred nubian billlies....hyserical out here in the woods of east Texas, your buck is only a purebred Nubian if they are those colors, they love them black dorsels, which then of course makes them color up really quickly. Did you know your bucks aren't even able to have kids until they have that color on their chests :) My BIL asked me why I would even want a black buck, can he be purebred and be black?

Very well grown boys Lee! vicki

7. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

My 2 yo Nubian buck has a thin black dorsal stripe, but so far nothing on his chest or shoulders. Hmmmmwill have to double check when I get home.

8. buckrun

buckrun New Member

He must need more 'experience' !
    L

9. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

:rofl :rofl Lee I thought that had nothing to do with it!
    I went out for chores last night and looked at all our boys. Theodon, alpine 1yr old, has and always has had what Lindsey and I consider a vest around his shoulders. Its not solid all the way around and right at the brisket it fades to white. Demi John, also alpine but a wether, got this black caping last yr, so I'm thinking its just sign of maturing. Now on Darius (Nubian), Mercedes boy from this spring, was born with a black cape and white belt (darn kastdemur trait)--or what I call bat wings. I'll keep an eye on his shoulders as he grows. Now Ghengis Khan already has a start on his cape. So that means by the time he's 2 he's gonna lose all that gorgeous red around his shoulders :sniffle. I just love him right now the color he is, course Lindsey says I just look at their coats so I can see which ones I really want to tan :rofl. Tammy

10. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Well that was for your benefit Tammy~!

OH wow- are you serious- you cure hides?
    We have wanted to learn that but never took time to do it right.
    Since we butcher wethers for the dogs to eat we often have glorious skins!
    We also have always wanted to learn to do the rabbits as well.
    Just one more learning we have not been able to squeeze in.
    L

11. Painted Pony

Painted Pony New Member

Some of you are so funny! I always figured the cape was similar to the lion's mane, men's chest hair, etc. something that came with maturity in the males.

12. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

HEHEHE...men mature? Sorry couldn't help myself I'll just stick my :ftinmouth now:) Tammy

13. Painted Pony

Painted Pony New Member

"Physical" maturity. If we're talking emotional maturity (as she stares out at blubbering young bucks trying to sweet talk the girls, and crowing roosters strutting around the coop) I have NO IDEA when that takes place or how you can identify it. ;)

14. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I have a friend with a solid white Nubian buck. He's a 2 year old and shows no sign of having a darker cape.

15. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks Janie, didn't know anyone to ask. Nubian Talk has had quite a few posts this last week on color, with lots of links. If someone wants to put it all together for 101 they can, I just don't have time right now. I agree with Tim's post on there also :) Vicki

16. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

My Nubian buck is a little over 2 years old. He has the black line, though very thin, down his back. There is a hint of black hair, sort of like a smudge, on his neck. He is a very light bay, almost a red roan, with moon spots. Maybe that smudge will get bigger and darker as he gets older?

17. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've had a couple of blonde Nubian bucks. One went into the freezer at a year old. His son I kept till he was two. Neither had any black on them. The rest of my boys have all had black on them. They were either brown or black goats. My GE grandson has gotten more black in his hair as he's gotten older. He is a brown roan with black trim. Kathie

18. Jacquelynn

Jacquelynn New Member

We have a very light blonde almost white buck. Not one black hair on the boy. He is 2. We have had one other boy he was almost a chestnut with white under hair. At 2 he had no black at all. He came from blonde/white lines but different lines than the above buck.

Jacquelynn

19. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Doris Walter had a couple of pure white Nubian bucks. I saw each of these as aged bucks - neither had a cape. Dr. Luke didn't have a cape either but did have a dorsal stripe.