Color of Blood Drawing Tubes

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Jul 31, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I know somewhere I saw a listing of the different color of blood collection tubes for each specific test one was drawing for. I did a search for it but can not find it. Does anyone have it or know what they are?

Thanks,

Vicki in NC

2. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Janie,

Thank you for the link. It was helpful somewhat. I was looking for the specific goat tests. I don't know, does it even matter? Do you have to have certain color tops for specific goat tests? CAE? CL? etc.? I know you do in humans.

Vicki in NC

3. crocee

crocee New Member

As long as it was a plain tube with no additives, would it matter as long as you specified what tests you wanted?
    Andi

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yes. For example, the G6S test requires blood collected in a purple top tube whereas the blood for a CAE test is collected in a red top tube.

Sara

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

As far as I know, CAE, CL, Johne's, and biotracking preg. tests are all run on serum. You need a plain red top tube. If you were doing bloodwork on a sick goat like a CBC or something, you would need a purple top.

6. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Sara,

What about CL?

Vicki in NC

7. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thank you Beth,

I just want to get my ducks in a row and send everything off at the same time correctly.

Vicki in NC

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Thank you for the explanation. I am still learning and will probably continue to ask slightly dumb questions. Thanks for putting up with me.
    Andi

9. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

I think it is a great question. I have seen the different colored tops but would have never realized they were for different tests.
    Learn something new every day!

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"I have seen the different colored tops but would have never realized they were for different tests. "

The different colors denote different additives (or none, in the cased of the red top tube). Different tests require different additives or preservatives, hence the different tubes. :bh

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Shoot, I'm out of Red top tubes, I only have purple left. Anybody got some for sale?
    Sherrie

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Check with your vet. Mine sells them for .30 each. Yes more expensive than a box but if you can't use up 100....

13. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Besides the vet, where do you buy/order your blood collection tubes from?

Vicki in NC

14. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I believe PBS Animal Health sells them by the box of 100.

15. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Beth!

Vicki in NC

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I never knew that.. I've been sending them off in the red tops.. :/

17. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

For the lab that vicki uses in goat keeping 101, I went to their website and it says for CAE they need 1ml serum in Red top tubes. My questions is, for those who have done this, do I send whole blood and they separate the serum or is there a way that I am suppose to do this? We have never CAE tested, but most of the nubians we own were tested this year when we bought them from Vicki. We want to have our entire herd tested, but I want to make sure before I get a friend of ours to draw the blood and send it. We have 16 to send in and I want to make sure we get it right. Thanks, Tara

18. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I believe you are referring to PAVL. For all of the labs, send in a plain red top tube with whole blood in it. Let it clot, refrigerate until you can send it out, and get it to them as soon as you can. They will spin it down to get the serum. If you had access to a centrifuge, you could spin it down yourself and it keeps better as just plain serum in a tube. However, most people don't have a good way to seperate the blood and it works fine to send it to them as a clot as long as you get it there within a few days.