Color change

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Has anyone ever had a doeling fade after breeding? I have 3/4 Ober, 1/4 Alpine doeling that I bred at the beginning of the month. If bred, she would be roughly three weeks along. She's always been a little light for an obie, but now she's fading like there's no tomorrow. I've seen dogs do this, do goats?

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Could it be copper deficiency?

3. Shereen

Shereen New Member

YES! I have one La Mancha who throws trips that goes from Obie brown to light brown right before she freshens. After I gave her a copper bolus she started to get that rich dark color back. I *think* (and please correct me if I am wrong), but the kids deplete copper from a does system while they are growing because they don't absorb much copper in the milk.
    In the case of this doe, I think it's a copper issue, but I can't say for sure.
    Funny you mention this, I'm doing it again tomorrow.

4. Josie

Josie New Member

My does do change colour but its lighter to darker, not vice versa. I've never been sure if its being pregnant or just the winter coats. :? so maybe the copper issues that have been suggested? Is your area bad?

5. Rose

Rose New Member

Yes, our Nubian fades if we don't give her supplemental copper.

They get 1/8 tsp of copper sulfate per day, mixed with peanut butter, served on a cracker.

Do not let your human children eat this.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

be very careful using copper sulfate everyone. Copper boluses are a much safer way to add copper to your goats.
    I in no way am putting the use of copper sulfate down for those that have already been using it and know what thier doing, but this is not something a NEWBIE to goats should try.

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Kathryne........Just my thinking here, for what it's worth.......I'm thinking that hair is mostly made up of proteins, so thinking that there is a lack of proteins available in a goat that does this,... or that something, or a lack of something is possibly blocking the proteins from being either digested or delivered to areas that they need to go.
    It is possible that copper deficiency is the problem as it appears that the hair thing gets better when copper is increased in their supplements. But like all things that we eat and feed, it works hand in hand with other vitamins and minerals as well.
    If I were you, I would try to find out what the proper levels of "nutrition needs" are in your area......Different regions of our country, seem to present very different challenges in nutritional needs and overall care. One of my challenges here is that I live in a very high iron/sulfur content area. So I have no real need to add a lot of iron to my goats diet at all.
    Without running tissue test (such as liver biopsy) on a goat that has been in your care for a while, then it becomes a best guess estimate for most of us.

I gain a lot of info by visiting established herds around my area......when I see one that the goats look well, perform well, and overall health is very good.....then I try to find out as many of their practices as I can. I want to know their wormers used, feed types, mineral supplements,.....you name it. Goats are very versatale and can survive under crazy conditions sometimes......I'm finding out that even though I think I'm doing the very best for my animals, a little tweeking here and there can make a lot of difference in overall appearance and health.

Just-a-Jabbering...Merry Christmas, Whim.

8. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Hopefully it's not copper, she was bolused last month. Maybe I'll get a soil analysis done. I think that's the best I can do at the moment. There are NO established herds around here at all. There is one kid in 4-H with one doe, and I'm not impressed with her. I don't have enough goats to knock one off for a liver biopsy. How old do they have to be for that to be informative? I could keep one of this years kids for a while and then do that when I butcher. I know we have high selenium here and very alkaline soil. That's it. I'll have to investigate the protein thing some more. They get free choice alfalfa pellets and grass hay. My wethers do well on it, but I know that being pregnant and/or lactating is a little different. ;) Thanks all!!

9. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Many who have bolused say it can take up to 6 weeks for a change to be seen in the goats. Others here can tell you more about that.

Rose, many folks in texas have used bolusing with good results. Have you tried that?

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

There are some folks on this forum who do liver biopsy's and such, that can give you a good basic guideline to follow when it comes to times, age, and reccommended levels.
    Even though there are not many "goats" in your immediate area....there are some folks on here from your region that could be helpful in shedding some light on things that they have discovered that works well for them.
    I guess to sum up what I was saying above.....is to say that when I can physically start seeing a possible deficiency of some type like this, I assume that there is more involved in the problem, and not just one particular thing.
    I'm not real big on "one magic bullet" programs.......but believe that it is often several smaller bullets combined, that will make the overall difference in the long run planning of things.