Coccidiostat AND Corid?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

If I have a grain with a coccidiostat in it, should I also use Corid or will the grain be enough?

EDIT: I am mainly thinking kids coming in the spring.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The grain will NOT have enough coccidiastat in it for kids younger than 5-6 months. They can't eat enough of the grain to get the required doses. You STILL need to use some type of prevention every 21 days OR use Decoxx-M in the milk every day until weaning, then do the Corid, Di-methox, what have you every 21 days along with the medicated grain.

Sorry, just a fact of life.
    Kaye

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I thought so! But was not sure. I did not want to overdose them. I did not want to underdose them either. Thanks Kaye. :)

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Kaye, how old are your kids when you stop the cocci prevention? Cherry is 6 months old now and on her last day of this regimen. She's doing very well since that bout of scours she had a few months back. She's since been weaned and growing well. She gets medicated feed. I haven't been routinely medicating kids who don't show problems, but am seriously considering doing this with the next group of doelings. I have a couple of March doe kids that just haven't grown out as well as the rest. Kathie

5. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Good question. :) I'd like to know what Kaye does too and others too for that matter.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I can't stress enough what a microscope can do for your overall herd health. Learning to do fecals tells you so much MORE than just *looking* at goat's condition.

That really depends on the kid, what fecals show me and how that kid *looks* at any given time. No I'm not really anal about running out and doing fecals all the time like it sounds. I'll do fecals about once a month on random kids, and if a kid *looks* like she's just not quite right, I'll fecal her.

I've got an Obie doeling that is bred, due to kid~Feb.11~ on her yearling birthday(how'd I do that?) that is just now being transistioned off medicated feed to the milker ration. So, technically, she's just now being stopped on coccidia prevention at 11 mo.old. I did a fecal on her right after Christmas, she and all but one of her penmates showed very low levels of coccidia. If, after her freshening, I find a more than normal amount of coccidia in a fecal, I'll treat her. The penmate that showed she needed treated is the youngest of the lot, 5/4/08 kid, that looked like crap when I got her at a month old. So, she's 8 months old and just got a round of Corid, plus she's still on the medicated feed. She's also been treated~CORID~ at around 21 days since weaning. She's obviously not able to control her coccidia, yet. I blame being the smallest, the meanest(always picking on someone), and her immune system. (Though this doeling is in the 110# range, she's still considered small, here.)

There is no EXACT quit date on coccidia prevention. Some kids are able to handle their coccidia by the time they are 7-8 mo. old, some with less immunity need to be treated until they're 9-10, and some of us lazy goat breeders, that just hate change, keep feeding them the medicated feed for convience (and because I've finally found a feed I & the doelings like-although it still doesn't have enough Decoquinate in it) , until they're nearing kidding. :lol

I will say...that there's no way a kid is stopped on it's coccidia monitering/ treatments/prevention at 6 months, here. I show doelings until late Oct.. This is stress, giving coccidia an opportunity to take advantage .We've all been to fall shows where there's a few kids in the barn scouring~probably no prevention/treatment after they're weaned, or monitering. During the late summer/fall show season I am a lot more attentive to their fecals, attitudes, and *looks*. Also, figure in the heat and humidity and the chance of higher numbers of coccidia are two fold.

WELL...THAT gave you an exact time to quit treating didn't it. :/ It's like worming...just because you worm twice a year, whether they need it or not, does not mean you are really doing the individual goat a justice. Until that kid is able to handle the coccidia on it's own, you're not beyond having trouble.
    Kaye

7. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That was definitely a wealth of information. I will take that to heart. Microscope is now on my To Purchase list, among the other items needed to run fecals. Thank you very much.