Coccidia Problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Aug 5, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have two kids out of a pen of 6 that are scouring. Took a fecal into the vet's today from one of the healthy kids (unable to get any from the sick kids this am) and came up positive for coccidia. The thing is they are on day 4 of being treated with Corid. (Schedule/dosage from Goat 101). Eyelids/gums are nice and pink on both sick kids. They were dewormed a couple weeks ago. So...is it normal for them to still be shedding even while being treated? And what can I do to get the diarrhea to stop? They've recently had Bo-Se, Vit. B complex, oxytetracycline on one b/c she's coughing, and a couple doses of Pepto-Bismol that did absolutely no good. Both are eating/drinking/acting ok but we're going on day 6 of diarrhea....

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

did he give you a count? I have seen vickie right time and again, there's always c present. It's the Level of infestation that presents the problem. I would give the little gals some kefir or yogurt in their milk to help them make cud. Run to the store and pick up Rennet, in the canning section, it's for cheese making it'll help the curd to form.

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I will try giving some yogurt, these two are no longer on milk (she is March 28, he is May something). They did not give a count. You are right Sherrie, whenever I did fecals there was always one or two in there...but I had thought since being IN treatment phase there wouldn't be any? Besides I don't know what else could be causing the scours. :?

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

maybe just the corid itself, are they stealing fresh green grass? do they have minerals? back when I was a Neeewwbee. I had one die of grass tetany.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

The last Corid treatment I gave my kids, one of the bucklings had scours after day 2. I gave him Probios but it didn't go away until after day 5 and we were finished with the Corid.

Tiffany

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

slippery elm will help with the scours but continue the corid and also give probios /and b complex

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I gave them probios and Vit. B a couple days ago, today is last day for Corid. These two were scouring before I started Corid. They are on pasture...so they've had green grass all along. They also get grain/alfalfa pellets and free choice mineral. Should I keep giving probios?

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Remember that Corid only stops the cocci from moving from the non harmfull lifecycle to the harmful one...it doesn't kill cocci. It's why if you choose to use it for prevention you have to be relgious about starting it and using it. If you let your cocci numbers get ahead of your program than as you are killing the group in the doe right now, 5 days later you have others moving to the harmful lifecycle.

If you miss days or don't start it, than use a sulfa, which wipes it all out to zerio, then start up your corid again.

When you know cocci is a problem it becomes a way of life using prevention.

Not knowing if your cocci numbers were crazy high 1000's or yes you have cocci and it's 100, is meaningless. And dont' foget banamine, it stops the diarrhea in it's tracts when it's something like this. Vicki

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

So basically if you aren't using prevention...Corid is useless for treatment? I need to use Albon to nip it in the bud and then start prevention with Corid? How long should I wait before treating with Albon? I will make sure to ask for a count next time I do a fecal.

I will treat with banamine, I didn't at first because of pepto bismol/aspirin I wasn't sure if the two could be used together.

10. NubianSoaps.com

I don't use anything for treatment because I use prevention :)

Switch her now and use it now with banamine.

And ditch all the pepto aspirin stuff. You can't give enough without causing diarrhea. And don't move to antibiotics because of a cough. Cough is almost always womrs and cocci in kids. Cough without wheezing or fever or green mucous nose, isn't doing anything but causing resistance. Vicki

11. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

She also had snotty nose, lethargy with the cough...that's why I did antibiotics. I will get both kids on the Albon/Banamine. Should I be treating the entire pen with Albon or just these two? The other four kids look great.

12. NubianSoaps.com

In kids I always treat the whole pen. Plus with albon it also will treat bacterial pnemonia. Make sure you get your sulfa dosage correct. Take temps. Vicki

13. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Vicki, You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little slow to understand sometimes. :? Are you saying that the 5 day corrid treatment may not be sufficient to end the cocci problem? We treated the young doe for 5 days and her fecal afterward looked good. Do we need to now start her on some sort of ongoing preventative program?.....Mike

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Not Vicki...but..yes, you need to keep on with the Corid every 21 days until the doeing is upwards of 80#'s or 6-7 months. We use the treatment doses as a prevenative, every 21 days.
    Kaye

15. ali923

ali923 New Member

You all talk about treating with corid, but i have also heard a lot of bad things about corid-doing bad things for their system and eventually killing them. I saw it on a website, i just googled it a while back and the treatment for cocci using corrid did worse than the cocci itself. also, i have had a lot of cocci problems, unfortunately and u not only have to treat the cocci but u also have to treat the runs as well. U probly already know that, but i have found that slippery elm works best for all sorts of diahrea. You can get it at most health food stores cause it's good for people too.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Those that have problems are not using correct doses

17. NubianSoaps.com

Hi Allison, if you research a little futher...they go from zero to 60 from the basic information...corid stops the occyst from moving to the more harmful lifecycle by block the cocci occysts ability to use thiamin to that it depletes the goats body of thiamin. It simply is not how corid works.

All oral meds must be used in goats carefully, especially when ruminanting...so over 3 or 4 weeks old. Too much of anything orally, and especially in goat who have worm or cocci burdens can cause polio, be it from using corid or a sulfa or pickle juice.

I also use Slippery Elm..but the test of your management is to be able to say...They went from birth until breeding without one day of diarrhea. Diarrhea is a sypmtom of something wrong. Prevent anything wrong from happening and you don't even have to use the Slippery Elm. vicki