Coccidia Prevention

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jan 5, 2008.

1. What is your coccidia prevention? (What you use, when you use, ect ect )

Thanks!!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have used most things, and seem to move around after several years of doing the same thing. I used Corid last year, started before they were 3 weeks old, every 21 days for 5 days. I am religious about my cocci prevention and know it is why I didn't loose kids last year with kids lost in nearly every herd around me.

This year I am planning on using nothing :) I am going to use a new feed with rumensin in it, I am making a hoop house over by my soap house which both it and their new baby pasture will be on soil no goats has been on. I will only move the few I am keeping out there, they will come out the front of the hoop house for 8 weeks, and then the back of the hoop house for another 8 weeks (blocking off their previously used area), weaned, on grain and hay and browsing really well, then into the junior pen. Maybe one Corrid treatment once in the junior pen for the first 5 days to be sure. We shall see, not much for change. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just a word of warning here READ your feed tags!
    This was advice giving to me a couple years ago.

I
    More info

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?q=approved%20coccidiostats&entqr=0&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&ie=UTF-8&mode=simple&num=10&ud=1&oe=UTF-8&navid=SEARCH

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?q=rumensin&entqr=0&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&ie=UTF-8&mode=simple&num=10&ud=1&oe=UTF-8&navid=SEARCH

4. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

My concern with Rumensin is that it is toxic to non-ruminants. I had a dog that kept eating the feed I had out for the kids, and she died of liver failure 6 months later. The kids did really well on it though, no cocci problems and really good growth.