cocci?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hsmomof4, Jan 9, 2009.

1. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Ok, here's my issue. I have a doe with clumpy poop. I did a fecal and saw some cocci...I know, "some" is very vague, but I was getting lightheaded looking at the slide and was having a hard time counting (don't know if it's just a vision issue or if I'm coming down with this terrible tummy bug that is making its way through my house). She kidded (2nd freshening) a week ago Wednesday and was wormed at that time with Cydectin. She seems otherwise fine...is eating and acting totally normal, just has clumpy poop. I have Dimethox 40% and Corid, so I could treat with either if you all think that I should.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

did you chg her feed any? giving more? different hay? I would tend to think that clumpy has more to do with food rather than cocci

3. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I've been gradually increasing her feed since she freshened, but have been holding steady at the current amount for a couple of days. She had clumps a few days ago, then it seemed normal again, and then clumps again today. Maybe one too many sunflower seeds last night....

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Of course treat her, it won't hurt anything and likely will help. The only cocci problems in adults I have ever had...one was an ill doe who 'relapsed' after treatment of the illness, when it wasn't it was cocci....another was a just fresh yearling milker. Vicki

5. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Ok, the doe finally had normal looking berries this afternoon when I went down to the barn to check her water (was still clumpy this am). Yesterday was day 5 of treatment (did Corid). Now for the question. The last two days, I know for certain that she got her entire dose, but before that, we were having varying degrees of success. I thought I did ok on day 1, but day 2 I had hubbie help and I'd estimate that half of the dose ended up somewhere other than in the doe. Day 3 was similar. Would it be best to treat for 3 more days to be sure that she got the entire amount she was supposed to get?

6. NubianSoaps.com

Of course. I always redo if they spit any out, I give them more. If you sweeten it up with Kaye's snow corn syrup idea, they won't balk at getting it. Vicki

7. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

She actually will eat it if I pour it on her grain--giving her somewhat less than half of her normal feed with the meds, then adding the rest of the medication-free feed when she's eaten all of the other--but the syrup idea sounds good, too, and will be especially helpful when it comes time to do the babies. Thanks!

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You are putting the Corid on her grain?

Why are you not drenching her? Snow cone syrup works great and it is so easy!

Sara

9. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

We originally were attempting to drench her but the first time hubbie helped, he squirted it so fast that about half of it shot out of her mouth. (I was like, um, faster is not necessarily better!) And I think that I remember reading something once about the syrup thing, but it didn't really register, so we don't have any on hand. Will have to get some!

But that leads me to a question...I have a 30 cc drenching gun, and the Corid dosage for my adult does takes up pretty much the entire gun. If I wanted to do the syrup thing, I would need to get a bigger gun, wouldn't I? (Mostly just trying to make sure that I didn't totally misread the dosages on the Corid or something stupid like that!)

And Sara, I saw some of your babies over at Christy's the other day! One (whose name I do not remember) was so funny...a total attention hound.

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I just use a big syringe (without the needle of course) when larger doses are needed. You can pick up a 60cc syringe pretty cheap (I prefer the ones with the feeding tube end). Measure out the amount of Corid you need and add the syrup to it. Mine like the cherry. :)

My babies are little lovers who love attention but I know for a fact that Christy has them spoiled rotten. :) Lucky babies. :)

Sara

11. Bethany

Bethany New Member

That they are. :) Sweet little Blissberry's.

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Bethany, that is the perfect way to describe them :)

Christy

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am mean I guess mine just get straigt corid no syrup. Don't seem to have a problem.

14. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Where do you get the syrup? I have seen it, at Walmart in the summer, but not now. I am guessing you are talking about syrup for snowcones? Or something like that.
    Les

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My Wal-Mart carries it year round Les. Yes, snow cone syrup. :)

Sara

16. NubianSoaps.com

Kero syrup, generic works well also. Vicki

17. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Today, she seems to be alternating between normal berries and clumps. I was out there for a little while this afternoon and saw berries being, um, deposited, but there were clumps on the floor of the stall that are since she was milked this am. Any thoughts on why she sometimes has normal stools and sometimes not?

18. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Have you changed or increased her feed ration?

Christy

19. Jami

Jami New Member

Is there a dose for drenching with corid somewhere on the site? And how many days do you give it to them? Can bred does have corid? Thanks Jami

20. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest