Cocci ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by R and R Farms, Jul 30, 2008.

1. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

I have a young, 6 month old doe that I recently performed a fecal on and I wonder if what I'm seeing is cocci. The eggs are about 1/8 the size of the barber pole worm eggs. This doe is being fed a feed with a coccidiastat in it (Deccox, I think) and I'm wondering if she could have such a load while on this feed. :??? She is a little poorer than her sibling and her hair is rougher looking. Is the coccidiastat just a deterrent for healthy goats and not a cure for ones that already have it? Oh yeah, her stool is normal and I thought a goat with cocci would have scours or looser stools. :??? :help......Mike

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Exactly what you are thinking. Once with a low level of cocci, all cocci meds can do is keep those numbers low...they can't if you are not feeding enough of them...always know how many pounds of feed you have to feed per pound of body weight and feed that. No top dressing or you dilute your feed.

Goats can be ruined before you see any diarrhea from cocci. Also make sure because of your area you are worming correctly.

Taking a fecal in or learning to fecal becomes key as you treat, but also not building resistance to the drugs we have left to use. Vicki

3. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Mike, we started 2 years ago and made the mistake of thinking feeding medicated feed was all we needed. We didn't research and find out until it was too late. We ended up loosing several goats to coccidia (vet confirmed) and after that, learned about preventative treatment. The goats who were severely affected that lived were smaller and have not grown like the goats that we have treated since we learned. Read up and learn as much as you can about cocci and how to prevent it. This site has a lot of good information. I am still learning something new every day. Fecal testing is a valuable tool to any goat farmer (rancher, herder,etc). Tara

4. Rose

Rose New Member

I'm glad this subject came up. I have two week old bucklings and was pondering which way to go. Corid at three week intervals it is.

THANK YOU!

Rose - rookie after a year and a half of dairy goats

(how many years will it take before I don't worry and fret and wonder if I'm doing things right?????)

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

(how many years will it take before I don't worry and fret and wonder if I'm doing things right??)

I don't think that it really ever ends....times change, and so do the conditions that you raise your goats in.

Whim

6. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Whim
    Amen to that!!!

Tara

7. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Thank you, all. I think I am on the right track now :thankyou2. This is a great place to learn and it sounds as if most of you have been to the "school of hard knocks" :biggrin Nothin' like that "been there, done that" practical wisdom.....Mike

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl I been at this for over 25 yrs. and I still worry and fret...every day! You just kinda' get like an ambulance driver...You stop with the PANIC and just treat. Unless it's PUMPING BLOOD...I don't get panic attacks, anymore. Then it depends on if it's just a vein or artery. :rofl
    Kaye