Cocci Treatment

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Mar 22, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I know this has been covered a ton. I looked through goatkeeping 101 and found a lot of information, but I'm still not sure what to use. Everyone seemed to rave about decoxx-m but I can't find it, where do you get it? Also, I can use Di-methox, but then which is better 12.5% or 40%, oral or mixed with water? Finally, there is Corid. I haven't seen as much on this product and don't know much about it. What do you all use? How do you administer it and how much? Thank you so much.

Tiffany

2. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

3. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I have used decoxx-m. convenient for sure. but we were part of a bad batch and that kidn of made us gunshy. not too cheap, either.

we have used corid. it worked OK.

We have also used dimethox, the 40% kind. it worked as well. we liked it the best, i think, but the biggest issue is the fact that we cant find it locally so we have to make sure that we are staying on top of our supplies rather than get stuck on day 3 and run out :lol

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

dimethox-m in bottles then dimethox 40% the 12.5 % is bad in the fact you have to syringe so much before it is any use. Corid is also good.

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

BUT we had SUCH bad issues with cocci last yr that the prevention level of corid wasnt enough, we had to use treatment amts and that got $$$$ real fast.

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I'm using di-methox 40%..can't get any more lately so when its gone I'll have to switch to corid. Also just putting it in the lambar this year and so far so good, they are drinking fine. I'll be running fecals soon to see how its working. It's still freezing here, 19 degrees this morning..and nothing showing on the slides yet.

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Tiff, Here are my notes from Kaye on the corid.

To: whimmididdle
    Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:42 pm
    Subject: Corid Treatment
    If you are going to use the corid, use it at the following rates and syringe it into each kid according to weight.
    Putting it in the water is useless. Mine won't even drink milk with it in it.

Treatment dose....use once a day for 5 days..no less.Use it full strength...no water! And yes, you're vet will throw a wall-eyed fit if you tell him how you used it! He will also tell you the "calf dose" which isn't anywhere near strong enough for goats. Been there, done that...didn't work! This dose is 5x's the calf dose and I just,today, did fecals on all my babies! Not one coccidia egg! They are 3mo. olds and Feb. babies. So, I can safely say the doses below work with fecals to back 'em up!
    Doses below are 50mg/kg (2.2#)....recommended treatment levels for caprines.
    6cc/25#
    12cc/50#
    18cc/75
    24/100#
    You use your calculator to break it down to weights.
    Kaye
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps, Whim

8. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Thanks for reposting that Whim-
    We just tried to figure for Corid top dress under that topic and it somehow came out to feeding 131 pounds of pellets per day hahahaha! that'll get them little critters huh?
    Glad to have the doses without having to do the math since obviously can't!
    Lee

9. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thank you all very much. You were very helpful.

Tiffany

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

BTW.....I treated 2 kids last fall at 1/2 of Kaye's dose rate here, and it also knocked the cocci out....but keep in mind that I was only dealing with very mild cocci numbers and symptoms here at the time. If I had been dealing with a full blown case, results here could have been different.

Whim

11. reedfarm

reedfarm New Member

We use Deccox-M for coccidia control in our kids. We mix this with warm water and put in their milk bottles once a day. We find this very effective! :You can buy it through PBS.