Cocci Prevention - What can I use?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravenwood, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what/when/how much to use for cocci medication in my new kids. The dilemma I am facing is that we ranch on the same land as my parents and they have specified that I cannot bring medicated feed onto the farm that is harmful to monogastrics. The reason being we have a couple of very $$$$ show horses on the property and any mix up or accident would be disasterous. Is there a product out there that isn't harmful for monogastrics? Its tough b/c I want to be able to provide appropriate cocci prevention for the babies, yet I can't P.O. the "landlords".
    :help
    Thanks!

2. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

You can drench them with Albon or DiMethox. We use the DiMethox 40% - and give it in a syringe without the needle. They hate it, but it's easy enough.

This year we actually are switching to the medicated pellets, if we actually keep any goats long enough to start them on pellets, - but we have areas we can feed them in where other animals can't get to the feed.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I put Decoxx-M powder in their lambar bucket. 1 teaspoon per kid, stir it in well, one time a day until weaned.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html

Instead of using a feed through...to keep peace in the family...use the prevenatives given by mouth. Most but Decoxx-M are in a bottle. Haven't had a horse yet that could unscrew the lid on a bottle. ;)
    Kaye