cocci prevention question again :+)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Dec 13, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, i did prevention last year, however i used corrid, it did work for me, but was a huge chore drenching them all - so i really would like to just add it to my kid's milk next time. I have seen some posts here that some of you do this, my question is, what do you use that you can just put into the milk ? And do you just dose it according to the instructions in 101 ? Thanks !

2. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Deccox-M 1 tsp. goes in one of their feedings every day. I love the "easyness" :)

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

from birth or when they are older. Do you still have to use it when you used the medicated feed?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I dose my milk with Corrid. Others use sulfa's in the milk, albon, dimethox etc.. or some use the powdered Deccox M in the milk. Even when using prevention it's important to do fecals now and then to make sure that the prevention you are using is working. It also has to be started early, and kept up, if you let cocci levels get out of hand in your goats you can not use prevention then as catch up you have to use treatment levels.

Feed throughs/medicated feeds work well for me, but my kids are in control of their cocci when I am expecting the medicated feed to work for them. You can't use it for treatment. Also they have to be eating it, not nibbling, and you can't dilute it with additiions of this or that to the pellets. Hay and the pellets, thats it. I also full feed it which means all they want everday, or it won't keep their bloodlevel up of the drug. Vicki

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks ! It helps a lot !

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Vicki, I think I read that you put the corrid in with snow cone sweet drink stuff? Does the corrid taste bad or is it non-detectable?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I only use Kaye's snow cone syrup idea when idividually dosing by mouth. I always feed the corrid lambar first thing in the morning, the kids are the hungriest and nobody balks at the milk. While on their 5 days of Corid I also only offer them as much milk as I know they will drink first, keeping a gallon of plain milk out so once they have drank the drugged milk down I will pour in the fresh milk if they want more. This way there is no guessing that all the drugged milk got drank, but they also get free choice milk.

There is alot more competition to eat more, and what is in front of you on a lambar rather than on a bottle, so if you bottle I would expect more balking at this or that. Vicki