CMT

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Dec 26, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I got a CMT kit for Christmas (all my gifts from family were goat related :) ) and it's not what I expected. I thought I was getting those easy little paper test strips but what I got was a paddle with 4 holes, reagent, dispensing bottle... Looks a lot more cumbersome than those little paper things. I'm wondering if I should keep it or exchange it. If it's more accurate, then I'll stick with it. If I'm better off just getting the paper things, I'll probably exchange it. What are y'all's opinions on these products?

2. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

My understanding is that this is more accurate. I had the paper things some time ago and did not find them very good. May have been the kind I had or something.
    Les

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

HeeHee, since I don't have milker yet (next year) I'm reading CMT kit??? You got a country music television kit. lol.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep the little Dr. Nalor blotters are worthless, by the time you see a change in PH you already know you have problems with your naked eye looking at the milk or feeling of the udder.

CMT is a tool, it is also not what you think it is :) Every monday morning a few squirts of milk goes into the A on the paddle for the right side and alittle milk in the B slot on the paddle. I then add the rennet mixture....as much milk as you put in put that much rennet into the paddle. Next to the milk amounts I weighed I then put L for liquid, G for gell, T for thick etc...then note if there is a difference between last week and this week or last year and this year. You are looking for change in that doe, because some does even negative for subclinical staph would be positive for how they have you reading it for cows.

You swirl the paddle gently to mix the milk and rennet....and honestly I have never purchased more of the rennet I just use dawn dishwashing liquid. Vicki

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Dawn dishwashing liquid will do the same thing?? Huh?! Okay, looks like I'll stick with this. :)