CMPK questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Spicer Creek Goats, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Spicer Creek Goats

Spicer Creek Goats New Member

I have a doe that is beginning to show signs of hypocalcemia. I did a search on dosages and found 30cc. Does this go on the doe's weight or is this just the standard dosage? Also, I have the injectable--but I take it this is given orally at body temp-correct? And how often do you give this.Thanks, Julie

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

The injectable is given under the skin-SQ- 30cc every two hrs., until the temp. starts to come back up. Temp needs to be 102 or above before you go to longer intervals. Warm it to normal body temp. before giving-103 degrees.
    Kaye

3. Corky

Corky New Member

I have another question for Kaye about CMPK...
    I have been giving oral Cal-MPK 30cc twice daily for several days now and have given this doe 3/4th of a quart bottle so far.

I am now giving it to a doe that kidded twins two weeks ago as she had a drop in temp. Down to 101.

Your instructions was to give this till she kids.
    She has not done this yet but is there a limit as to how much to give.
    Should I keep up with twice daily or go to once daily now? She should kid this week.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

What's her temp now? If it's normal then start backing off...but keep it in your mind that this doe had calcium issues before kidding. Do not milk all her colostrum out and keep a check on her temp for at least 3 days after kidding. You don't want her to crash with milk fever.
    This is the 13yr. old?
    Kaye

5. Corky

Corky New Member

Yes Kaye, this is the thirteen year old.
    Last time she freshened she was 11 and was off feed for two months after kidding and still lived. Amazing!

We also have lice issues here and I have tried seven dust and DE and of course the Ivamec and Ivamec + I use for worms.
    None of that makes much of a dent in the lice population.
    I use Red cell to help off set the damage done by those pesky critters. Shedding helps some but does not get rid of them completely.

Everyone has good red eyelids right now though.